nv6o sprint

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: nv6o sprint
From: EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM (EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 09:19:05 PST
At Randy - AA6WJ's :

217 x 41

I was going to use the same excuses as Danny, K7SS concerning my
inability to properly manage the band changes from the far west,
but he didn't bring the Alpha, I did.  Besides, he's far wester than I
am.

But boy - when the rate meter on 40 started heading south and I made the
move to 80 to hear nothing but multi-variate white gaussian noise, I
knew I was in trouble.  (Shoulda listened first before turning all the
knobs and dials, I guess.)

His Pro 67B requires a tuner on 40 and his loop needs it on 80.  I think
I'm gunna hafta measure his 40M Z at the antenna and build a switchable
series coaxial transformer to eliminate this tuner business.

High RF in the shack caused the computer to randomly pick a function key
buffer to send when I was going through the f5-f4-f2 sequence.  Once
 when Tree called me, I hit f5 and sent him "N6TRB4" with out realizing
it immediately.   Da machine didn't want to work him, I guess.

Also had a problem where the computer would suddenly send a string of
dits (without provocation, I might add) and I would have to hit the VOX
control on the 765 to quickly terminate this garbage.

Found an interesting quirk on NA when I was changing the partial dup
window (Alt f8?) while trying to key in something else.  Dumped me out
of the program and loaded the cw buffers with caca.   Re-boot.

Lets see - 217/4 = 54.25.  Like Sammy Hagar said - " I can't drive 55".

Insult to injury department.

Got home at about 9pm PST and answered the phone.  It was Steve, KN6OX,
a fellow River City Contester who is vacationing in Maui.  He rode along
with Danny, K7SS and hung while Danny did his thing.  -low power, huh?

Thanks for all the Q's.  There would have been more with a competent
operator.

Eric, NV6O
edwoods@pacbell.com