N4OGW ARRLDX 20m Single Band

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N4OGW ARRLDX 20m Single Band
From: torsten@mephisto.physics.uiuc.edu (R. Torsten Clay)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 96 9:32:08 CST
N4OGW/9 ARRL DX CW Score

Class: Single op/High Power/Unassisted 20m Single Band
Op: N4OGW
Qth: K9ZO's (Illinois)
Time operated: whenever 20 was open...

20M: 911Q, 87C --> 236,205 pts.

Equipment:
        204BA on 75' tower
        modified 204BA on another 75' tower
        Ten-Tec Omni6 + amp 1000w out.
        N6TR software.

Comments:
        Fun contest!  Still plenty to work on 20m at the low point of the
solar cycle.  I arrived at ZO's about 1.5 hrs after the contest started,
worked some SA/Carribean.  Got up the next morning at 11:00...first European
heard on band was TM1C at around 11:20...of course he couldn't hear me then.
About an hour later EU started answering my cq's- band died to EU about 19:00z
both days.  Messed around on the low bands a while...was amazed to work
several EU and OY1CT on 160! (160 antenna sloper from ~70', about 500W).
80 and 40 were generally difficult (KW+dipoles). Having 2 separate beams
(set up as each separate or both phased) was nice- if someone tries to steal
your freq, just point a beam at them until they go away!
        Low points- sleeping through my alarm on Sunday morning and missing
1 good hour...overwriting my CW Sprint log this morning when I proccessed this
log (maybe I can get it back with a disk search)!
        Thanks to Ralph for use of his station!

Ralph: I worked 2 VS6's and S92SS after you left Sunday...
73,
Tor
n4ogw@uiuc.edu