WA0QOA ARRL DX SO/LP/AB RESULTS

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: WA0QOA ARRL DX SO/LP/AB RESULTS
From: CWMAN1@aol.com (CWMAN1@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 19:27:11 -0500
                         ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1996

                    Call: WA0QOA                   Country:  United States
                    Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator
                                                                          LOW
POWER

                                                                     COMPARED
TO '95

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q  COUNTRIES    QSO    COUNTRIES

      160           5            15          3.0          5
              +500%      +500%
       80          48          144          3.0         37              +280%
     +247%
       40          86          258          3.0         42              +260%
     +190%
       20        278          834          3.0         77              +111%
      -   6%
       15       102           306         3.0         45               -  38%
      - 30%
       10         13            39         3.0           3               -
 88%       - 95%
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    532        1596         3.0         209  =   333,564

        '95    -7%                                       -8%        -15%

All reports sent were 59.

Equipment Description:  Icom 765, 100 watts, TA-33 at 51', Force 12
                                    2 element 40m yagi (the small one) at
60',
                                   160/80/40m W9INN Inv-Vee with apex at 48'

Club Affiliation:  FRANKFORD RADIO CLUB

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               FRED W. HOFFERT, III  WA0QOA
               64 STILES AVENUE
               MORRIS PLAINS, NJ 07950

Barry, I thought I had two choices: 1) I could sit here and pound
myself in the head with a hammer for more than 30 hours or 2) I could
work low power phone.  The hammer lost but it was close!  This was
masochism at its best.

I'm always too tired after these things to feel good about the results
but it didn't take long to see the improvement over last year.  I never
thought I would see the day when my score would show these increases on
the low bands with my modest setup.  Raising the ends of the Inv-Vee
about 15-20' helped.  They had been only about 5' above ground.

Another high point was making the whopping 13 Qs on 10m after making
none during the CW test.  I never even heard a station on 10m during
CW.

The lack of any meaningful runs hurt both in Qs and mults.  Rather than
call CQ endlessly I did S&P endlessly.  During one attempt at running on
20m a 4X1 station called.  That was the only new mult calling CQ.

Nothing broke this time, but terrible line noise started Sunday morning
and continued through the end of the test.  This made trying to work
weak ones tough.

The absolute funniest moment came when one of the REALLY BIG multi-multi
stations called HD2RG on 20m after the guy said "Any QRP stations please
call now!"  It didn't work.

Already I can't wait for CQWW next fall.  GO FRC!!!

Fred/WA0QOA
CWMAN...I'D RATHER WORK CW!!!