CANADA DAY result VC6RAC m/op

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: CANADA DAY result VC6RAC m/op
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Don Moman)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 00:44:47 -0600 (MDT)
RAC CANADA DAY Contest
======================

   VC6RAC operating from VE6JY:

   Operators : VE6's:  BF, BMR, BMX, DGG, FR, JY, LCB, LDX, SLV, PV

  160CW       23          23        246       6
  160SSB      33          33        304       6
   80CW      104         103        814       8
   80SSB     318         316       2878      11
   40CW       80          77        566       9
   40SSB     342         337       2952      11
   20CW      423         422       2196      11
   20SSB    1311        1303       7040      12
   15CW       18          18        160       6
   15SSB      79          78        418       6
   10CW        6           6         70       3
   10SSB      23          23        120       4
    6CW        2           2         12       1
    6SSB      23          23         54       1
    2CW        8           8         90       2
    2SSB      64          64        650       2

 Totals     2857        2836      18570      99

    Final Score = 1,838,430 points.

        It was hard to believe this was the summer contest (no, not the weather
- summer is finally here after a long delay) but the conditions on the bands
were like mid winter - like working the east coast on 40 at noon and thruout
the afternoon.  80 was as good as I can ever remember, sure the static was high
but there were a lot of east coast stations that were strong enough to be
worked. 20 behaved as expected - never closed and the European signals kept us
awake all night.  15 was on the edge of being open, but did yield some
multipliers. 10 and 6 were mostly local for VE's but a number of US sttaions
did make it in the log. Short skip to Sask and BC was tougher than usual, and
we had to really work for those mults on 10 and 15.

       We ran as many as 6 HF stations (4 SSB, 2CW) at peak times, but usually
4 was enough. Another position included 6m and 2m. Computers used at most
locations, running TRlog which supports the RAC contests and performed very
well. All 6 logs merged and a rough final score ready just minutes after the
end.

       Nothing broke or smoked during the contest but the week leading up to
the contest had it's share of rotor problems. The word "tailtwister" isn't a
popular one at the moment around here.....

We had set 1 million as a goal, although not much money would been wagered in
favour of that happening.  8 hours into the contest saw us pass our contact
total (1451) and equal our mult total (73) so by then we started to think about
approaching 2 million. That was optimistic but had 15 opened a bit more....

Lots of participation both in and outside of Canada, although I'm sure a major
part of that was the VC6 prefix. I sure heard a lot of the ops say "QSL route
via VE6JY" so just when I thought I was getting caught up in the QSL
department...

Other interesting stats: 606 stations gave us 001 as an exchange.

Provincial Breakdown:

    ON  534
    BC  293
    AB  238
    PQ  143
    NS   99
    SK   72
    NB   61
    MB   53
    NF   46
    PE   16
    YU    7
    NT    3

    Continent List

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =     10    72    43   655    52    15    847
  VE calls    =     46   343   325   706    42    14   1476
  N.A. calls  =      0     2    10    14     0     0     26
  S.A. calls  =      0     2    13     6     2     0     23
  Euro calls  =      0     0     0   288     0     0    288
  Afrc calls  =      0     0     0     3     0     0      3
  Asia calls  =      0     0     0    16     0     0     16
  JA calls    =      0     0     0     3     0     0      3
  Ocen calls  =      0     0    23    34     0     0     57

  Unknowns    =      0     0     0     0     0     0      0

  Total calls =     56   419   414  1725    96    29   2739

Thanks to all who gave us a contact, as usual the spirit of co-operation was
very evident in the willingness of other stations to QSY to other bands and
modes for that all important multiplier.  A pre contest BBQ and and all
the rest made for a great Canada Day out here....

73 de VE6JY / VC6RAC (for only July 1)

VE6JY is Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta
T0B 2R0  (403) 895-2925