WA7BNM NAQP SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: WA7BNM NAQP SSB
From: bhorn@netcom.com (Bruce Horn)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 10:51:58 -0700

              656         146    =    95,776

One Radio
Antennas:
  80m Rotatable Dipole @ 100 ft
  3-el 40m yagi @ 90 ft
  Tribander @ 105 ft pointed 60 deg
  Tribander @  72 ft pointed North

Comments:
  First five or ten minutes of the contest on 20m was slow, then found a
  run frequency and ended up with 100+ first hour. When the rate
  slowed, I went to 15m, but only heard a few stations. Decided that
  15m was about to open so I shouldn't waste time at a slow rate and
  took first off time for 30 minutes. Came back and 15m was no different.
  Only well-equipped stations could be heard.

  At the half way point I thought I was operating in a single band
  contest -- over 90% of the Qs were on 20m. Kept going to 15m and 10m
  with no results. In retrospect, I probably should have just stayed on
  20m. A second radio would have helped maintain a 20m run, while checking
  15 and 10.

  40m was OK in the evening. Got good signal reports, but noise level was
  S9 and spent a lot of time trying to dig the exchange out of the noise.
  Had more incomplete QSOs than I like.

  Worst 15m QSO/mult totals of any contest I've been in. If there was
  an opening on 10m, I missed it. Only worked teammates on 10m. The rest
  of the country seemed to have a 10m opening and decent rates on 15m.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn@netcom.com)