AB6FO CQP Results & Comments (Long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AB6FO CQP Results & Comments (Long)
From: KWIDELITZ@delphi.com (KWIDELITZ@delphi.com)
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 17:14:25 -0500 (EST)
                      California QSO Party -- 1996

      Call: AB6FO                    Country:  LAX
                                     Category: SO HP

      MODE      QSO    QSO PTS  MULTS

      CW       936     2808        0
      SSB      977     1954        0

      Totals  1913     4762       58  =   276,196

       BAND   CW    PHONE
       160    42      17
        80   185     120
        40   222     116
        20   403     689
        15    84      33
        10     0       0
       VHF     0       2
       ALL   936     977

Equipment Description:

Kenwood  950SDX, 950SD, SM230, Alpha 87A (2), each  station  with
DuneStar  Bandpass filters and stubs automatically selected  with
TopTen Band Decoders. Pentium with CT10.

Antennas:

160 Balloon Vertical, 250' beverage
 80 Force 12 EF180S rotating dipole @ 72'
 40 Mosley PRO96 @ 80'
 15 Mosley PRO96 @ 80'
 10 who cares

SOAPBOX:

For the second year in a row I got my chained pulled early in the
contest when I asked a station with a score much bigger than mine
if they were single or multi-op and they told me single when they
were  actually  multi. That's what I get  for  asking.  Actually,
rather than being very depressed, I only got mildly depressed and
redoubled  my efforts and persevered. When I heard  that  station
CQing  into  a dead 15 meter band with no responses,  I  kind  of
suspected I was being put on.

With  not a peep the whole weekend out of 10 meters and only  20%
of my QSO total from only 2 years ago on 15 meters, the highlight
of  the  contest, to my delight and surprise was working  167  DX
stations, literally without trying, mostly 20 meters, mostly  CW,
mostly Europe. SV, 7X, 5W, YB, EI, HB, YO, GW, TA all called  in,
in  addition to many DL, G, F, SM, OH, etc. with the  capper  and
last  DX  QSO, OD5NJ. If only I have runs like this in  CQWW!  In
fact,  I  never remember running Europe like this except  in  the
ARRL  10  meter contest at the peak of the sunspot  cycle.  Maybe
raising  my  Force  12 EF420 10 feet to 53'  might  have  helped,
but...

The  DX  show  really  helped the  rate,  eliminated  the  Sunday
doldrums  and added to my enjoyment of the contest  tremendously,
not to mention giving me the points to set a new LAX CQP record.

In  order  to help sustain this DX activity and make it  a  trend
(last year I had only 8 DX QSOs,) I hereby offer to sponsor a CQP
trophy for the highest scoring non North American station.

I worked 57 mults in the first 4 hours, but didn't find VY1JA for
the sweep until there was only 2 hours left. In CQP Jay usually finds
me early on. Not this time. But thanks for being there Jay.

All  was not peaches and cream however. Murphy struck in the  form
of RF getting into my two radio switch for the first time. Some chokes
applied on the fly solved the problem. And  I had  a buzz on Radio B. After
a while I realized the problem  was caused by having the amp's power switch
in the low power position and using too much drive to try to get to 1500
watts out.

Murphy also caused a problem with COM2 which was reading Radio A.
This caused a particularly insidious problem in that when I  went
from  Radio  A to Radio B, when Radio B was in a  different  mode
from Radio A (ie, SSB on Radio A, CW on Radio B) when I went back
to  Radio  A  I  went to a frequency  other  than  my  prior  run
frequency.  That happened about a dozen times before I caught  on
and  put my run frequency in VFO B and went back to VFO  B  after
using the 2nd radio on a different mode. I did step on some  toes
though,  and  know  I  owe NI6T an apology  for  claiming  a  run
frequency that wasn't mine. One of the things I love about mixed
mode contests and CT is the usually seamless effort to go from one
mode on one radio to another mode on the other radio.

Murphy  also played with my video card. The colors  would  change
for no reason. I had to pull the computer out and tug on the video
cable a few times to make the screen eye pleasing.

Bottom  line is, for the absolute bottom of the sunspot cycle,  I
had a blast. The activity for CQP is amazing. Now does anybody know
how AI6V wound up. Last heard he was 6 QSO's ahead of me with a few
hours to go. Hopefully I have more CW QSOs and can claim a 3peat.

73. Ken, AB6FO, KWIDELITZ@DELPHI.COM