AA4LR SOAB LP CQWW SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AA4LR SOAB LP CQWW SSB
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 96 16:16:21 -0400
CQ WorldWide DX Contest 1996
Call: AA4LR  Class: SO  Mode: SSB

      160        0        0     0.0          0      0
       80        5       12     2.4          4      5
       40        3        9     3.0          2      2
       20        6       15     2.5          4      5
       15       11       28     2.5          6      9
       10        0        0     0.0          0      0
     Totals     25       64     2.6         16     21  =>  2,368

All reports sent 59. Total operating time: 3.5 hours

Equipment Description:
Venerable TS430S running 85 watts PEP.
Murch UT-2000 Tuner
125 foot doublet, 15 feet up -- All bands.

Excuses:
* Wife recovering from surgery, so I had kid duty most of the weekend.
* You expect me to work DX with THAT antenna?
* Most of the operating time spent with 5 month old daughter on my lap.
Mostly asleep.
* Braves didn't clinch it in Game 5. (or 4 or 3)

Story:

Yes, George, you can work DX with just a dipole and no amp. You just have
to be patient.

Taking care of the kids ate up most of the weekend. I decided ahead of
time to operate whenever I had the chance. Turned out, I didn't get much
of a chance.

I was surprised to work much of anything with this antenna. I think it is
more of a tribute to the other ops. Best moment was having TM2Y saying
"Hi Bill". Second best was working WP2AHW on 80m on the first call.

To work anything, I had to call multiple times to get through. Lots of
stations CQing in my face. I've now learned to move on in those
situations.

Fun to spend some time on the air. Now I've got to practice my CW for SS.
See you then!

Moral:
If you want to work DX, you just GOT to to have (at least) a tribander.
Hopefully on a tower, and not disassembled in the garage.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR           Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901