N4ZR SSCW SOHP Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N4ZR SSCW SOHP Score
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 06:46:36 -0800

   80CW      479         476        952       9
   40CW      394         392        784      24
   20CW      194         194        388      45
   15CW        5           5         10       0

 Totals     1072        1067       2134      78

    Final Score = 166452 points.

TS-930S/SB-220
Force 12 C-4 at 97' (10-40)
inverted vees for 40 and 80, apex at 70 feet
TR Log 5.86

Comments:

My first time in the high-power class, and my first time over 1000 Qs.
?Someone shoulda told me how much more fun it is!  I'm a little puzzled,
though, about where I find the added 100-200 QSOs to join the top
single-radio scores, and am in awe of the 1400+ QSO result from KR0Y in A
class, not to mention the 1500+ totals from W5WMU et al.

I was pleasantly surprised by all the high checks and long calls on CW this
year -- a pleasing amount of new blood.  It's also interesting to watch the
super-check-partial and TR Log's insertion of check and section data from
past logs, to see how many stations weren't in my SS log last year.
Encouraging, I'd call it!

On advice from the contest reflector (or at least the majority viewpoint), I
moved my inverted vees down from 90 to 70 feet. The 40-meter antenna really
seemed to work much better than the rotary dipole during the day, and the
80-meter IV felt really loud on 80 at night, but on 40 at night there often
was little to choose between the dipole and the IV.  Next year, I may move
the 40 down to 45-50 feet and see if that helps.

Started out running on 20 to the west with 68 and 67 hours, then went to 40.
To 80 at 0300 and stayed there for 320 QSOs in 6 hours.  Bed at 0900, back
at 1300 (roughly), still running on 80 in broad daylight until 1430 (that
really surprised me).  Then it was slog through to the end.  Funny, but when
the sun set on 40 it was like someone turned on a switch - suddenly my
inverted vee started to work much better, and the rate took off.  The last
two hours it was hard to find anyone to work, though I had one late run on
80 when people got on after dinner in the East.

Great fun - thanks, everyone, for the Qs.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
CU in SS from West (bigod) Virginia