N4YOS SS CW SOLP Score and comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N4YOS SS CW SOLP Score and comments
From: tom@iquest.com (Tom Thompson)
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 22:02:24 -0600
N4YOS, Alabama, Low Power, Single Op
827 q's X 78 sections = 129,012.

Band totals:   80    40    20    15
              410   203   140    74

Qso's via cq: 620 (75%)   via s&p: 207 (25%)
Number of A, B, Q stations worked: 266, 477, 84 (over 10% qrp!)
Dupes worked without informing the other end: 11

Antennas were A3S at 35' and wire at 35-40'.

Comments:  My goal was to get 900 q's, but I'm very happy with the
consolation prize of a sweep!  I ended up 5 qso's and 3 (or 2) sections
ahead of last year.

At 19:10, a ve2 answered my call and I was down to just SD and PAC.  No
sweat, I thought, I don't even have to look for those (although I worried a
little about not working kh6 on 40 during the previous nite).  An hour or so
went by and I started to worry!  I started a "systematic" search of 20 and
15 and found W0SD in short order.  I then spent about 2 hours looking for
kh6, including searching old logs and QST for possible calls/times/bands.  I
wasted 20+ minutes figuring out the pileup for Wyo before I finally got a
clue.  I pondered if the westerners I was working would understand if I
ended my exchange with "seen pac?" (and I wondered if that was single-op
legal).  Finally, it was dark and I resignedly went to 40.  I pounced a
couple, came across a quiet spot and started calling.  After just a couple
of answers in 5 minutes, I thought I would just go on to 80m (40 hasn't been
kind to me lately).  Since band switching between these two involves a bit
of knob twiddling, I decided to make one more listen on 20.  Much to my
surprise, there was kh6/w1wef just a few hertz from the 20m place I had last
occupied!

Things to do next time:
 1 - Get comfortable with reaching for the F10 key (keyboard cw in trlog)
instead of the paddles.  I can send CW good enough, but it takes a couple
chars each time so I sometimes flub repeat requests (both ways). I do have
all the standard requests/repeats programmed in various keys, but the more I
think about it, going into keyboard mode to repeat something or to say
something outside the format would be the best.

 2 - Get more antennas!

Tom N4YOS