SS Phone Weekend

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: SS Phone Weekend
From: hans_brakob@adc.com (Hans Brakob)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:54:41 -0600
Call:     K0HB
Class:    Single Op, High Power
Section:  MN

Q's:      1,361
Mults:    78=20
Score:    212,316

Equipment:  IC761, R4C, NCL-2000, TH7, GAP,=20
            buncha wire.  Powered by CT.

Slow conditions Saturday due to rain static on 40/80/160.  Went to bed =
at about 0800Z Saturday night with a pretty puny score and strained ears =
from sifting stuff through the electrical storm noise. =20

When I came back on at 1200Z the rain had stopped and the low bands were =
sounding nice and crispy.  Had a good morning run on 40 and shifted up =
to 20 at about 1430Z.  It was still a little muddy up there, but I =
homesteaded early anyhow and it paid off with a sweep in the bag before =
1600Z. =20

Took my remaining 2 hours off in early afternoon (son's 30-somethingth =
birthday) and finished mostly on 40/20.  15 opened for a bit to the west =
but rates were slow.  10 was never heard open here.

Lots of WY/SD/MB/ND stations! =20

Best call of the weekend....  XL4ZOO, which I guess was a special event =
at the Winnipeg city zoo!

Noticed a few stations trying to "shortcut" the exchange by leaving out =
their call.  (Are these the same folks who sign only once every 200 Q's =
from VP#xxx during CQWW? I suppose they rationalized that they had =
already sent it in the callup.)  If they didn't give it when I asked =
"Call?" at the end of the exchange, I purged them from my log as =
incomplete exchanges.  Some were running at "top ten" rates, so their =
logs may end up a little shorter after the checkers do their scan.

Embarrasment of the weekend:  On Saturday evening, for reasons I don't =
know, my 761 jumped from 3.771 to 3.751 in the middle of a run.  A =
helpful soul called me on it, and when I checked the computer log there =
were only 4 Q's on that freq, so not too much was lost.

Encouragement of the weekend:  A whole HOST of checks in 90's.

Thanks for all the Q's.

73, de Hans, K0HB