W8MJ SS SSB SO/LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: W8MJ SS SSB SO/LP
From: AA8AV@Concentric.net (Ken Meier)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 20:44:28 -0500
ARRL Sweepstakes  1996

Call:   W8MJ
Mode:   SSB
Sec:    MI
Cat:    Single Operator/Low Power (A)
Hrs:    24

Band    QSO'S   Points  Mults
___________________________
160     101      202     5
 80     371      742     8
 40     607     1214    38
 20      60      120    17
 15      83      166    10
___________________________

Total   1222    2444    78 = 190,632

Club:   Mad River Radio Club

Running Low Power from Michigan is extremely difficult.  Here you
live on the low bands to make rate.....15 and 20 are for West Coast.
The crowded conditions on 40 and 80 along with the band conditions made
establishing a run frequency firtually impossible the first night.  Did
a lot of S/P and was able to establish a good run on 80 later on.  Third
hour was a disaster trying to get a run frequency.  Finished first night
 170 Q's behind last years score.....the QRN on 80 was terrible.  Thank
God for Beverages....thats the only thing that saved me the whole
weekend.

Brightest spot of the contest being able to work 101 Q's on 160 first
night....had a 55 rate 0400 hr.  And having VE8EV answer my cq on 15
meters late Sunday afternoon.  The only reason for going to 15 was
nothing happening on 40.  Went there for an hour and worked 53 Q's...not
a bad move.  All in all enjoyed it as always and using the new call
worked out really good.....until the next one............

                                                        73's
                                                        Ken
                                                        W8MJ
                                                    Ex: AA8AV