K4VX SS Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K4VX SS Score
From: PGENTRY@sbbs.net (PGENTRY)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:05:46 -0600

     1907 x 78 = 297,492

     Don't have the band breakdown here, but I did have 965 Qs on 80
     meters!   Had a terrible start!  Something like a 75 first hour
     followed by an 85 or so.  Then went to 80m and that's when the rate
     real started!    Nice to have VY1JA call me on 80m. Last section was
     WP2Z...  found him on the second radio running at 21.405 around 2100z
     Sunday.  Lots of NNY, NE, ME, WY, IA and other semi-rare sections.
     Had at least a dozen people call who weren't in the contest that just
     wanted to give me a point...  worked tons of people with #s in the
     teens and twenties!  Didn't have a big problem with the 80 meter pig
     farmers...  but getting them all hyped up is pretty fun sometimes!

     I finally beat one of my contesting mentors...   AG9A, op at N0NI!
     First time that has ever happened.   Good to have competition from him
     and WE9V!

     Funny story:

     I'm running on 7200 on Sunday morning.  Some guy gets on and starts
     with the old  "W9ABC W9ABC...  this is W8ABC on sked, are you around
     this wonderful morning Eugene?"   I ignore him and continue on my way,
     he's not really bothering my rate.   Then good old Eugene gets on and
     he's pretty loud, so I tell the guys that the freq is in use, but if
     they want to find another one, I will let them talk to each other
     briefly so they can get the freq they are going to move to.   So they
     start with the old talk about taking their medication and how their
     hernia is aching and their ulcer is acting up....    I continue to run
     and I know they hear me because they are talking about the "damn
     contester"....  After about 10 minutes of this, one of them says "I
     can't take this anymore, this guy is too loud and I can only get about
     half of what you are saying."   So the other guy says...  "OK, why
     don't we go back to 2 meters!"

     So I get on and say something like "You guys went through all that
     trouble, intentionally QRMed me...  and you guys live across town from
     each other?"   I just about fell out of my chair... aparantely someone
     else did too because I heard someone key up and just laugh and
     laugh....    never did find out who it was.

     Thanks a ton to Lew for letting me op!

     Paul Gentry    K9PG   ex WX9E

     PGentry@sbbs.net