W6XR SSPH96

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: W6XR SSPH96
From: force12e@lightlink.com (Natan Huffman)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 03:40:15 -0000
Hi Everyone,

Not much to report as the weekend was relatively uneventful.  The bands
were crowded but not overly so and the de-facto observation from this end
was that if you transmitted, you made Q's!   Everything worked as well as
could be expected and no kidney stones, smelly dogs or uncontrollable
flatulence.

Took time during the contest to think of ways to handle the situation on
and around 14230.  I am sure there is a way to disrupt their transmissions
very effectively, however, then we would be part of the problem, and that
does not sound so good.  Some people will never understand that they do not
have exclusive rights to any frequency.  The arrogance and stupidity of
those SSTV policepersons, however, has reached a new level.  I just love to
hear the comments about the frequency around 14230 be assigned exclusively
to the SSTV crowd.  Guess I have to realize that some people's family tree
has few branches and when that happens, you get SSTV policepeople.

Started on 15 but quickly lost interest and moved somewhere.  Took many
breaks and did help the youngster with his home work and did some home work
myself as I am now taking some "enrichment" classes.  Was delighted to find
a mini 10 meter opening into GA, TN, and other Billy Joe Dick Bob QTH
places, however, the rate sucked on 10.  160 was a nice surprise.
Certainly 40 was the band to be on for most of the contest.  Did mangage to
get my second sweep in as many weeks.  Only surprise for me was that I
worked only 1 ea. NNY and that was on 160.  Worked 4 ea. NWT and 1 ea. KH6.
  So many WY and MT, that I decided last CW weekend coincided with a
sheeping convention.

Breakdown follows:

                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1996

      Call: W6XR                     Country:
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator

      BAND     QSO    PTS   SECTIONS

      160       48       96        -
       80      178      356        -
       40      530     1060        -
       20      413      826        -
       15      131      262        -
       10        5       10        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals   1305     2610       78

               Score:  203,580

Power Output: _1499.9 watts     Hours of operation: 18

Equipment Description:

Club Affiliation: Clubless in Ithaca

W6XR is:

160....dipole at 75' and ground plane

80....rotatable dipole at 80'

40.....2 el at 72'

20/15/10....stacked C3s at 85 and 45

4 el on 10 at 85'

Drank Dr. Pepper and other things Nancy brought into the dungeon.

Used one measly radio with no spotting help from my dog either.

Regards,

Natan W6XR/2