AB5LX WW CW results

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AB5LX WW CW results
From: jegold@sat.net (J.E. Goldsberry)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 19:00:55 -0600
Operator: Jason, AB5LX
Rig: 100 watts
Antennas: 3 ele yagi, dipoles
Operating time: 11 hrs.
Totals:
Band    QSOs    Zones   Countries
---------------------------------
160     0       0       0
80      3       2       2
40     10       8       9
20     37      12      27
15    112      18      44
10     13       5       7
---------------------------------
      175      45      89
Score: 54,404 points
---------------------------------
        This is more fun than I remembered.  Didn't get to stay up late and
work a ZL7 like last year, but still three new ones (3C5, 9U5, C21).
Band summary:

80:  Either conditions were just all bad, or my new dipole works a lot
better on phone than on CW.  I guess that maybe it is more of a stateside
antenna.  I felt like a fool calling "CQ ZONE 4" in the last 10 minutes,
because it completely flunked on Friday/Saturday night.

40:  Very good.  Only spent a few minutes on it.  Lots of loud EU stations
at the end of the contest, and was able to work three or four zone 14 and
15s.  Also caught N2JJ for my only Zone 5 on 40m during the last 4 minutes.

20:  For some reason, I just wasn't attracted to it.  Signals were poor on
it from everywhere but the U.S.A.  About 1/4 Japan, 1/4 U.S.A./VE, 1/4
Carribean, and 1/4 Europe.

15:  A great band.  Not as much Europe as I expected considering what little
Europe that I did hear was very loud.  Mostly worked Pacific, SA, and
Carribean with 32 JA's thrown in.  They were VERY loud on the last night.
A ton of Zone 31 activity.  Worked about 5 or 6 of those.

10:  Entirely South America except for 3 U.S.A. stations.  The African
opening that was there during the SSB section was not there at all for the
CW section.

        Overall had a great time.  I was amazed at the static on 20 the
second day.  Out of all weekends for contesting, I'm glad it was this
one...Cold, Wet, and Rainy.

73, Jason AB5LX