N5KA - CQWW CW 15m SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N5KA - CQWW CW 15m SO HP
From: russ@inetport.com (russ-n5ka)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 21:27:53 -0600 (CST)
N5KA - CQWW CW 15m SO HP

BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones

   15CW      940         912       2383       109        32

 Totals      940         912       2383       109        32

    Final Score = 336003 points.

This was round #2 of Russ tries to become a CW contester.  (Round #1 was CW
SS where I spent about 9 hours making 450 q's).

I had no goal in mind other than operate as much as possible and try to
learn as much as possible.  Since I have no station at home I was using the
W5KFT ranch station.  (George, K5TR, was doing a 40m single band).  Thanks
Bryan and George!

Friday night was a bit of a bust w/26 q's in the log (worked everything I
heard but the C21 and got him Sunday).

The 'KFT ranch is about an hour from my house so I decided to drive home
after the first night to spend some time w/my family.  I've done CQWW SSB
(W5KFT M/S), SS CW (SOHP, p/t), SS SSB (SOHP), and now CQWW CW.  My wife was
getting a bit "frustrated" (ok, MAD) about my being gone on the weekends.
That, and my long work hours, left her needing help around the house as well
as with our 2 young daughters.  So I drove back home to keep the peace and
then back out to the station on Saturday getting there around 1330z.
I got some decent EU runs going (decent for me).  After about 3 hours I
settled into a slow rhythm of CQing w/ periodic breaks for S&P.  I worked my
first JA at 21:15 Saturday.  I worked my last EU at 22:33.  I worked my last
station, an LU, at 00:57.  The band closed for me on Saturday about 2 hours
earlier than Friday.

On Sunday I only had one really good hour to EU, although I could definitely
see an improvement in my ability to pull out callsigns (an copy them
correctly!).  Practice certainly helps alot.

I was pleasantly surprised by the nice conditions to Europe.  My qso
distribution report showed almost 500 EU stations to just 150 JA's.

Early Sunday morning we had a MAJOR thunderstorm move through the area.  (It
forced K5TR off the air for 4 prime hours on 40m).  I must have shook up
mother nature by operating CW as it started to sleet and SNOW on Sunday.  At
33, I can count the times on 1 hand (maybe 2 hands now) that I have ever
seen snow so I spent lots of time looking out the window.  It started to
really fall on my way home so my usual 1 hour drive became quite interesting.

I really had alot of FUN.  I really enjoy the code, but have only used cw
sporadically in my 16 years in radio, with practically none in the last 10
years.  Operating cw contests has been a goal of mine for awhile and I'm
glad I've started down that line.

I never really felt that I was a complete ham until I got my extra class
license.  Likewise, I have felt something missing by only operating in SSB
contests.  Seems like alot of the guys I consider expert op's (and who also
beat me on phone) are all really good code ops too.  Since I'm making
progress in the top 10 in the SSB contests that I operate it seems to be a
good time to start on trying to become a "complete" contester.

73, Russ--
N5KA, ex. AA5RB, N5DDO
russ@inetport.com