K5NA SO/HP/AB Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K5NA SO/HP/AB Unassisted
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 14:00:41 -0600
                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: K5NA                     Country:  United States - Texas
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator - High Power
- All Band

      160       30       63     2.10     11      20             Inverted Vee
@ 80 feet
       80       86      222     2.58     23      52             Inverted Vee
@ 75 feet
       40      239      627     2.62     33      85             Sloper NE &
Sloper SW @ 70 feet
       20      604     1575     2.61     35      91             TH7 @ 81  feet
       15      447     1228     2.75     27      88             TH7 @ 81 feet
       10       51      104     2.04     13      27                TH7 @ 81 feet

     Totals   1457     3819     2.62    142     363  => 1,928,595

Hours of operation:  36 Hours

Equipment Description: IC765, Henry 2K-Classic (10/15/20 meters), Henry 2K-4
(40 meters), DTR2000L (80/160 meters)

Story:

Once again I went into this contest a bit laid-back to continue re-learning
the conditions and tricks of operating from Texas. I didn't feel competitive
with my antenna system and station setup, but the CQWW is always so much
fun, that didn't really matter. I decided to give it a good effort.

I had thought about the possibility of doing a multi-single since my son,
WB2Q, was still visiting with Susan (K5DU) and me. However, the CQWW doesn't
have a REAL multi-single entry category and it is more like the ARRL multi-2
than it is like a multi-single. Maybe it should be called a
multi-one-and-a-half? I am not complaining! That is just the nature of the
contest and I am glad that most contests all have some differences to make
them more interesting. Anyway, the TS940 was on vacation in California being
repaired by Kenwood and the IC765 was the only competitive radio available.
So that kinda ruled out a multi-single along with the other problems of the
antennas being clumped together too closely anyway.

I struggled on 40/80/160 meters and did reasonably well on 10/15/20 meters
with the TH7. The first night was pretty good mult-wise as I S&Ped my way
across the three low bands. The second night was a bummer when a front came
through with hail, rain, and thunder & lightning. I couldn't hear or work
anything on 80 & 160 meters because of it. So I finally just shut down the
station, disconnected all the antennas, and enjoyed one of my longest
contest breaks I have ever taken. By sunrise, the front had moved through
and I returned to operate the high bands until the end of the contest.

Congratulations to the high USA scorers in zone 04. I think there were some
marvelous scores made by K5GN, W9RE, and N2IC. They are my benchmarks and I
hope to be more competitive next year. It was a lot of fun.

73, Richard
K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na