KM0L 160 m SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: KM0L 160 m SOHP
From: km0l@net (Steve Lufcy)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 10:46:12 -0600 (CST)
Maybe this should be multi-op, me and Murphy.

call: KM0L
cata: Single-op, High power, unassisted
sec:  MO
        ARRL 160 Meter Contest

band   Q's    DX    Sec    Score
---------------------------------
 160   351     4     66  -> 49,980

rig: TS940s MLA2500B (500 w) - Inv L wire (60' up 65' out)
     FT101ZD w MFJ DSP
     386 clone w CT 7.06

soap: Figured on part time effort, but when things started going so well
Friday night I thought I might get into this. S & P rate hit 137/hr, so
put out a CQ and had an hour of 78 Q's. For this station that's not bad.
The 160 meter ops are really great, a pleasure to work. The DX window was
even clear, except for DX!  So I quit early Friday night and went to work
Saturday morning thinking I'd get back into it hot es heavy the second
evening. Not so- the 940 died when I tried to fire it back up Sat
afternoon- smoked it! Ended up throwing the trusty, dusty ol' Yeasu in
line and had problems there after. That thing drifts so badly that I'd
call CQ on a clear freq and by the time I was done I would be right on
top of someone else- Sorry about that guys! RIT didn't work and I had to
retune every time I moved 10 khz. Geez- took the fun out of it. Ended up
with approx 6 hours in. Well- off to the repair shop, and hopefully be
back up to par for ARRL DX.
73 de KM0L Steve in KC