ARRL 160 at KK7A

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: ARRL 160 at KK7A
From: kk7a@micron.net (Jim - KK7A)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 15:09:33 -0700
                             ARRL 160 SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 07-Dec-96, 08-Dec-96

    Callsign Used : KK7A
         Operator : KK7A

         Category : Single Operator - Low Power - Unassisted
     ARRL Section : Idaho

      Total Hours : 7

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

  160CW      222         222        459      53         1

 Totals      222         222        459      53         1

    Final Score = 24786 points.

        TS-850S hooked to a strange version of a sloper.
        TR Log 5.93 (Great program Tree!)

        Had lots of fun...  Got off to a really rocky start.
My first qso was with my good friend K7QD (Lee),  here in Idaho.
I heard him calling CQ so answered him but ended up sending his
call instead of my own because I was in CQ mode instead of S&P mode.
We finally got the QSO out of the way and then he asked me a question.
Hurridly, I pushed "alt-k" to go into keyboard mode.  Oops, wrong
program.  I used CT in CQWW at NK7U a couple of weeks ago and forgot
I was using TR log.  Well, in TR, "alt-k" turns off the keyer output
and didn't figure out what was happening for a few seconds so Lee
went back to CQing.  Oh well, dumb mistake #1.
        Decided to go up the band a ways and see who else was on.
After making a few S&P calls, I decided to stop and call CQ for a bit
and see how that would play.  Well, about 5 minutes later I received
not a callsign as an answer to my CQ but a, "ur in DX window!"
Whoever that was, thanks!  After a quick TU I moved up the band.
Dumb mistake #2.
        Fortunately, the rest of the contest went well.  Lots of UT
and WY stations.  Where was WY in SS?  Thanks to Jay VY1JA for that
section.  My only DX was XE and the OK1DX/MM station although never
did find out just where he was.  I'm still very new to this band and
havn't figured out the appropriate time to listen for some of the DX.
Listened to typical 80 meter time windows but didn't hear a thing
out of JA or anywhere else for that matter.  Guess I need some better
receiving antennas!  Worked a first Mississippi on this band.  Only
3 more states to go.
        Thanks to all for putting up with my weak ears.  See you all
in the next contest!

        73, Jim - KK7A

Jim Larson - KK7A - <><
Boise, Idaho