K8CC ARRL 160 Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K8CC ARRL 160 Score
From: k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David Pruett)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 20:33:04 -0800
Call used: K8CC                                           Location: MI

Category: Single Operator            Mode: CW              Power: 1500

Callsign of Operator: Ken Meier, W8MJ

Hours of Operation: 38

band      QSOs     points
-------------------------
160       1359       3027
-------------------------
TOTAL     1359       3027   X   (78 section + 32 DX) mult  =  332,970

Club or Team Name: Mad River Radio Club

Equipment:  FT-1000D, DSP-59+, PT-2500A, NA 10.12

Antennas:   120' shunt-fed tower
            880' two-wire beverage NE/SW
            880' two-wire beverage NW/SE
            Full wave rx loop

Comments:

The past few 160M contests have been painful affairs from K8CC due to
receiving problems.  The new pair of beverages plus the loop were a
significant improvement in that department, and along with a ICE
BC-reject filter helped the FT-1000D ward off the ravages of a 5 KW BC
station on 1480 KHz three miles away. For the first time in a long
while, Ken felt he could hear more than he could work, however we still
have room to reduce the BC interference even more before it is gone.

Not to bore the east coasters, but Ken was real pleased to work his
first EU only 12 minutes into the contest.  The first night saw 73
five-pointers go into the log, and thirty more the second night.  Quite
an improvement over the seventeen five-pointers worked in 1995.

Ken and I want to go on record to thank Bruce, AA8U for his advice on
the construction of the new two-wire beverages.  We also think Jay,
VY1JA deserves some sort of medal or recongition for his low-band
activity thus far this season.  He's the reason we're three-for-three
for clean sweeps so far this season.

73,

Dave/K8CC
Ken/W8MJ