K4AAA 10m Multi-op HP results

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K4AAA 10m Multi-op HP results
From: jefft@atlanta.com (Jeff Tucker)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 22:01:00
ARRL 10m contest, 1996

Bill, KM9P, kindly invited Dave, K0DI and myself, N9HZQ
to operate the 10m contest from his station since he wasn't
planning an operation.

We operated multi-op, high-power.  Here's how we fared:

mode      QSOs     points    mults
==================================
CW         483      1932       62
SSB        620      1240       72
==================================
TOTAL     1103      3172      134      SCORE: 425,048

Operators: N9HZQ, K0DI, KM9P

Equipment: 105CA, Yaesu FT1000MP, Ameritron AL-1500.

K0DI made 95% of the CW Q's and N9HZQ most of the SSB.
KM9P spelled us while we ate breakfast Sunday morning.
(Thanks Bill).

Bill has done a superb job of station setup and location.  In
a way, this was a retro operation: one antenna, one radio, one
1500W amp, one computer, and a couple guys banging out
Q's all weekend.  Bill's station made it easy to come in, sit
down, and work guys.  The 105CA up around 100' plays really
well and I felt loud all weekend.

Highlights:
None of the LU's laughed at my high-school Spanish.  They
didn't really need it, but I tried it out just for fun.

9J2BO called me in SSB and asked if I wanted a CW QSO.

Lots of other guys, stateside, SA, and Africa, quickly agreed
to change modes letting us get the double-mult.

Lots of nice comments about the call (although it was a mouthful
on SSB by the end of Sunday).

Finding AH8A underneath VE7DX and managing to work
him.  (Sorry, VE7DX, I'm sure we were loud calling him).

FR5DX popped up just long enough for us to work him then
back into the noise a few minutes later.

VR6TY called me the last minute of the contest.

Surpassing our goal of 1000 Q's.

It's amazing what you can do on 10m these days when you try!

Lowlights:
Didn't work a single European.  Missed 4U1UN, too, apparently.

Missed KY on CW since we didn't realize that would be rare
when we worked them on SSB.

73 es tnx for all the Q's

Jeff

 --