W4EF SPDC SO/LP/UNASS

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: W4EF SPDC SO/LP/UNASS
From: Mike.Tope@Sciatl.COM (Mike.Tope@Sciatl.COM)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 13:33 -0500 (EST)

          W4EF Stew Perry Distance Challenge

          Operator: Mike Tope, W4EF (ex AD4VH)
          Category: Single Operator/Low Power/Unassisted
          Location: EL-98 (Melbourne, Florida)

          Score: 80 QSOs for 288 QPoints X 2 Power Mult = 576 Points

          DX Worked: GM3POI (14pts)

          Total Operating Time: ~3 hours

          Rig: Ten-Tec Paragon - 100 watts output

          Software: TRlog 5.80

          TX Antenna: Marconi @ 50' (133' horizontal, 50' vertical)
          fed against 20 1/4 wave radials, mostly in the NW to NE
          quadrant

          RX Antenna: TX Antenna/40 meter dipole phased using JPS
          ANC-4

          Comments:
          Spent Saturday afternoon blanketing my 1/2 acre lot with
          2000 feet of radial wire. Because of the location of my
          antenna, my radials are laid asymetrically with the bulk of
          them between in the sector between 330 deg and 30 deg
          azimuth. This definitely improved my signal as I can now
          work most of what I hear coming from the north. I am still
          having trouble working the west coast, which is probably due
          to the lack of radials in that direction. The JPS ANC-4
          saved me from local noise, but made S&Ping a little
          cumbersome due to the frequent renulling required when
          changing frequency. Took me a while, to get used to the
          quirks of TRlog 5.80 (just upgraded from 4.50). My apologies
          for any strange emmanations, I was still reading the manual
          while making qsos.

          Big signal awards go to N4AR, K8MK, and N2IC. Especially
          Steve, who sounded like he had moved his station to Florida.
          I guess K1ZM was running QRP, he was so much weaker than
          usual that I asked him for a repeat on his callsign thinking
          that it had to be somebody else. The band was very quiet
          during my first two hours, ~2230 - 0030, but got much
          noisier when I got back on from 0400 to 0500. Must have been
          thunderstorm activity to the west. Activity seemed a little
          on the low side, but all-in-all a great contest. See you all
          next year!

          73 de Mike, W4EF