No more contesting for AB5LX

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: No more contesting for AB5LX
From: stans@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us (Stan Stockton)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 00:47:04 -0600 (CST)
Mr. and Mrs. Goldsberry,

My 14 year old daughter got her novice license at age 12 having learned
the code easier than her older brother, N5DX (formerly KB5WWA), who is now
17 years old.  Just a few months into her new hobby she called CQ on 10
meter SSB and was answered by someone using a W7__ call which was not
current at the time.  He proceeded to "talk dirty" to her, and that pretty
much ended her interest in amateur radio at an early age.

I have all but given up on my encouragement for her to get back into ham
radio, since I know that at the present time it doesn't stand a chance of
competing with all the other activities she is interested in. Hopefully
someday it will be a part of her enjoyment.

It is not possible to shield these kids from the few bad ones who try to
spoil the whole bunch.  They can learn from the bad ones too. I hope that
regardless of what experience Jason had, that someday if he wants to
participate, we will hear AB5LX again in a CW Sweepstakes.

Stan, K5GO