AA4NC RTTY Roundup M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AA4NC RTTY Roundup M/S
From: AA4NC@aol.com (AA4NC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 19:54:02 -0500
ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call used: AA4NC
Location:  NC

Entry Class: Multi Op, Single Xmit
Operators: WN4BBJ, K4MA, AA4NC

Band    QSOs   Pts   QTH    DX
80       147   146    39     2
40       241   240    47    14
20       512   504    54    42
15        72    72    22     5
10         0     0     0     0
--------------------------------------
Total    972   962    56*   53*
--------------------------------------
* - Counted only once (not once per band)
--------------------------------------

Score: 104858
--------------------------------------
Club Participation: Confederate Contest Club / Crude Dudes Contest Club

Apparatus Employed:
Yaesu FT990
Ameritron AL1200 (1000 w)
AEA PK232 TNC / WF1B software
80: Inverted vee @ 115'
40: 2 el. @ 130'
20: 4/4 @ 120'/50'
15: 4/4 @ 90'/45'
10: You must be dreaming...

Our second full effort in a RTTY contest from here. What a difference a year
makes! Last year during this contest we were under several inches of ice and
snow. This year, we were seeing record high temperatures (high 70's). It was
kind of a celebration of having fully resurrected the antennas from the
effects of hurricane Fran. (Thanks to the efforts of K4HA, KE4TTS, and K4MA).
We even got K4MA to try his hand this year. I think it was Jim's first time
on RTTY.

The contest started off very slowly for us. Not really sure what happened,
but it was significantly slower than last year. We kept expecting more
activity on 15m, but it seemed that no matter how good conditions were on 15,
everybody just stayed on 20. Is this how it is during high sunspot years too?
40 and 80 were reasonably good, and we kept expecting 20 to dry up on Sunday,
but it never did. The last three hours on 20 and 40 produced the best rates
of the contest - why can't THAT ever happen in Sweepstakes?  Now we just
gotta get some more happenin' gear for RTTY - too many Qs lost to QRM and
poor weak signal capture on the PK232.

Best superfulous information received in a contest exchange:
"599-CA  Antenna here is a wet string flushed down a toilet".

Will Roberts
8104 Lawdraker Rd.
Apex, NC 27502