N4BP NAQP CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N4BP NAQP CW
From: n4bp@shadow.net (Bob Patten)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 03:48:14 -0500 (EST)
Call used: N4BP                                         Location: FL
Category: Single Op All Band            Mode: CW        Power: 100W
Callsign of Operator: N4BP

Exchanged Information: N4BP BOB FL
Hours of Operation: 10

band    QSOs    points  mults
====    ====    ======  =====
 160      16        16     12
  80     183       183     44
  40     246       246     52
  20     238       238     48
  15     145       145     37
  10      68        68     21
====    ====    ======  =====
TOTAL    896       896    214           SCORE: 191,744

Club or Team Name: Florida Contest Group (FCG #1)

Station:        FT-1000MP
                TH7-DXX @ 45 feet
                40M inverted vee @ 35 feet
                80M dipole @ 40 feet (also used on 160M)
                NA v10.13

Comments:       I like this contest!  This is one of the few I can
actually compete in with my low antennas.  Also, luck was with me as it
was last January.  I had incredible line noise up to the day of the NAQP,
but come contest time, it subsided completely and didn't return until
Sunday morning - back to S9 on 40 & 80.  My antenna work around SS time
also paid off.  My trapped 40/80 doublett bit the dust - traps shorted -
so I strung seperate full length 40 & 80M dipoles.  Actually the 80M was
made by chopping up my 160M dipole with insulators.  Anyway, both did a
fantastic job and I was even able to tickle the 80M dipole a little on
160M to pick up a few mults.  Just prior to the NAQP, I built a new
current balun for the TH7 using a PVC sewer pipe form.  Hard to say if it
improved performance or not, I'll find out in the next QRO contest where
I do have problems with RF in the shack.  It definitely had an affect as
the SWR changed on 10/15/20.
It was great to see 10M open.  I probably could have picked up a few more
mults there had I stuck it out, but rate would have dropped
dramatically.  I felt that I played the bands to the best advantage..
Great conditions, no noise, finally a healthy and confident operator
(been sick since mid-November), no equipment problems.  What more could
one ask for in a contest?

Bob Patten, N4BP
Plantation, FL
n4bp@shadow.net