Wo4o Claimed CQWW160M CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: Wo4o Claimed CQWW160M CW
From: Ric.Painter@12.collage.isdn.net (Ric Painter)
Date: 26 Jan 97 19:26:55 -0600
Wo4o Claimed Score CQ 160M CONTEST 97 CW Single Op Low Power

          QSO   QSO PTS  STATES COUNTRIES

Totals    237     509      40       3    =   21,887

On: 8.5 Hours

Equipment Description:  Kenwood 450S/AT barefoot to Inv. L

QRM: Casual effort -- preoccupied with Antenna experiments.
Discovered my Inv L (with 16 ground radials at varying lengths
of 33-137') didn't load or play as well when the tower was
raised from 46' to 76' (couldn't get more than 70W into it @
1.830 resonance).  Saturday, during this event, I tried a 10'
above ground single elevated radial (detaching the ground
radials) which took a full 100W load at 1.830 resonance
(giving me about 60khz below 2:1 -- I don't use a tuner) but,
in my opinion, this version didn't hear or play as well.  I
won't lower the tower but it is likely that I'll switch back
to ground radials.  First, though, I'll try 2-4 elevated
radials and see how that works.  On with experimentation!

Club Affiliation: TENNESSEE CONTEST GROUP

73  Wo4o  < Ric.Painter@12.collage.isdn.net > Ridgetop, TN