CW Sprint HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: CW Sprint HP
From: w9re@worldnet.att.net (Michael Wetzel)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 05:23:28 +0000
        W9RE SO HP 1997 CW SPRINT

        80      106
        40      111
        20       81
                ----
                298   x   44 mults for 13,112

My best ever and I should have broke 300 for the first time but panicked
during the last 15 minutes when I realized I could do and then didn't!

My hat is off to so2r people, in this one, I just can't make it work, it is
just too much of a frenzy for me, all my concentration has to be on one
station.  I wouldn't operate with out another radio in any other test except
this one.

I thought 90% of the sprints stations got the call in the right place this
time, I was impressed.  I found myself so tuned in to hearing a call that a
few times when I heard a call sign and nobody coming back immediately I
dropped my call in, when in fact the station call I heard was a station
calling another.

I use NA in the CQWW mode for sending and duping but keep a hand written log
for the other info in this one only.  I did crash NA once and had a problem
getting it to reboot, of course I didn't modify my autoexec.bat because I've
not had a problem before, but this time I did.  I had to reboot about 3
times, and manually go through the start up commands.  Has anyone ever
noticed that rebooting in this contest seems like it takes an eternity.
Guess I lost about 5 minutes or so.

Did anyone notice my signal sounding odd?  I noticed that I had a bad
intermod problem when using my main 40 meter zepp, didn't notice it on any
other antenna, maybe a bad connection?  Seemed like all signals had 60 cycle
hum on them!  It wasn't my noise blanker either.

Still fighting (since September now) a 20db over s9 noise on 80 meters on my
phased bobtails, worse firing toward Europe (naturallly).  Had the power
company out here but they just can't seem to get it fixed.  They always find
something then 2 weeks to get it fixed and that's not the problem.  Didn't
bother me much this past weekend but this coming weekend, it sure hurts.  I
did try an ANC-4 with limited results.

73-Mike W9RE