WA8YRS ARRL DX CW SO/LP, UNASSISTED

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: WA8YRS ARRL DX CW SO/LP, UNASSISTED
From: drussell@knox.net (Donald Russell)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:56:50 -0500 (EST)

     Call used: WA8YRS                                         Location: OH

     Category: Single Op All Band/        Mode: CW              Power: 100W
                      unassisted

     Callsign of Operator: WA8YRS

     Exchanged Information: WA8YRS RST OH

     Hours of Operation: 16:44

     band      QSOs     points    mults
     -----------------------------------
     160          4        12        4     Butternut H2V
      80         43       129        2        "     "
      40         51       153       29        "     "
      20        155       465       48     A3A @ 50FT.  R5 @ 55FT.
      15         39       117       22        "           "
      10          0         0        0     NOTHING NEEDED!
     -----------------------------------
     TOTAL      292       876      132      SCORE: 115,632

     Soapbox: This contest started out as expermental for me.  A couple
     of days before the contest, I installed a V-Beam with 230 ft legs.
     Couldn't aim it NE like I wanted, so had to settle for due East.
     Tried it anyway.  Worked fair on 20 mtrs, but the A3A was always
     better, but then it was aimed where I was working!  On Saturday,
     I took this down and put up an elevated reverse fed vertical using
     my tower and two radials.  This was for Saturday night on 80 mtrs.
     Figured if this worked, I might check into one for 160 mtr.  Well,
     I did work some DX with it, but I think the Butternut H2V was always
     better, so maybe I'll forget this idea.  Mr. Murphy is still
     following me around.  My A3A had high swr.  If I left a carrier on
     for a bit, the swr would drop down to normal.  Thirty seconds of
     non transmit, and it would be right back up there.  Water in the
     coax?  Or just frozen traps?  One more thing to check in the spring.
     Used my antenna tuner as a temperary fix.  Didn't seem to have any
     trouble being heard.  My power supply for the antenna relays went out
     on me.  I had made several contacts before I realized it.  Some of
     these ops have fantastic ears!!!!  I'm sure I got some coupling to
     the antennaes that should not be there!  Worth worrying about?
     Anyway, turned serious on Sunday, and actually ended up with my best
     score to date for this contest.  Low power in Ohio is not good in
     a DX contest.  I need to help some rag chewer in Maine build a
     station so I can use it during contests!  Be my luck he'd be a
     weekend rag chewer!

     I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
     amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
     best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
     ARRL Awards Committee.

     Name: DONALD J. RUSSELL               Call: WA8YRS
           815 BROOKWOOD RD
           MT. VERNON, OH 43050
    drussell@knox.net