[3830] K4HQ/QRP ARRL DX SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4HQ/QRP ARRL DX SSB
From: k4hq@juno.com (Andrew H Lewis)
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 19:01:06 EST

                                  ARRL INTERNATIONAL SSB DX CONTEST-1997

                      Call: K4HQ/QRP                Country: USA NC
                      Mode: USB QRP                Category: SOUA QRP
                      Hours: 20                        Logging: Paper
Logged

Band            QSO               QSO PTS              MULTS
  Antenna
160                0                       0
 0                       Nope
80                  14                     42
9                        80mtr dipole in the attic   40
27                     81                           14
  Loop in the attic
20                  180                   540                         66
                   20mtr dipole in the attic
15                   90                    270                         40
                     80 mtr dipole tuned to 15 10                   35
                105                         10                      80
mtr dipole tuned to 10
Totals            346                  1038                       139
     Grand Score= 144,282

Rig: Kenwood TS 820S

Soapbox:
I could not be heard on 40! I don't know why but I wore out my voice on
the first night of trying. Best surprise was catching AH8A with a big
signal on 40 on Sunday Morning. It took me a while to get into a groove
but it was fun and exhilerating. My goal was 400 contacts which I didn't
make so I'm a little bummed out. Where was the VK/ZL opening on 20 at
night??? I remeber last year when I worked abot 20 VK/ZL's, but only 1
this year! I am still trying to convince my parents to let me put up an
outdoor antenna, I need one bad for 40 before CQ WPX weekend!

I paper logged again since my Dad wouldn't let me borrow the computer.
But, I am going to go back and enter all the contacts into CT to check
for any errors. Does anyone know how to change the time on CT??? Only
worked 6 Africans! EA9IE, 6W1QV, ZD8DEZ, 5X4F, ZS6P, and TU2XZ. Thanks to
all the stations who had to take sometimes minute to pull me out of the
noise.

Although, there was one BIG dissapointment to this contest! I called a
KH6 on 15 meters and he said, "life's to short for QRP," and left me and
wouldn't work me! People don't realise that QRP is fun and it is
sometimes not a handicap. It only takes about 2-3 S units off your signal
as apposed to 100 watts and it can sometimes mean the difference between
gettting through! It's a challenge, and I love challenges! Hope to work
everyone in CQ WPX!

See ya and 73
K4HQ        Andrew Lewis              16 Years Old

K4HQ