[3830] KH8/N5OLS ARRL DX SSB SO/AB/HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KH8/N5OLS ARRL DX SSB SO/AB/HP
From: n5ols@samoatelco.com (Don Barclay)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 97 22:31:10 PST
Single Op
All Band
High Power
Unassisted
25 hrs operated

Breakdown:

BAND      QSO'S       ST/PROV'S

160                 8                  6
 80               267                46
 40               723                54
 20               572                43
 15               464                48
 10                   2                  2
TOTALS:    2036 (x3)        199    =      1,215,492

EQUIPMENT:

YAESU FT1000
DENTRON MLA-2500

ANTENNAE:

PRO-67C3 @ 72'
80m INV-VEE @ 60'
160m INV-L @ 70'

        Conditions here were very poor on 10m and 160m, as
only a few of the skeds were successful on either band.  The most
unusual thing was the virtual nonexistence of propagation to W1
on 20m, the only opening being LONG PATH on my Sunday morn.
I missed all but one of the W1 mults on 20.  40m was a nice sur-
prise, and 15m had one short-but-glorious opening.  I slept in Sat-
urday, and when I awoke I popped the radio to 15m, but didn't hear
anything except Ronnie, W4WA, calling CQ.  I worked him, and
visited a little about the lack of propagation, Dayton, etc.  When I
signed, I had several callers, so I moved up a little and called CQ.
Within a few minutes, the pileup was huge, and the rate meter was
climbing.  After about 30 minutes, the "LAST 10" rate showed 428,
and the "LAST 100" showed 233.  It was just at this time that my
wife came in, told me I was messing up the VCR, and ordered me
off the radio.  (She and a couple of the neighbors were trying to do
a little Sweatin' to the Oldies...)  I replied something like, "Unnnhhh,"
and continued working guys.  She then threatened to turn off my
radio, met with "Do it at risk to your health."  So she left.  ( She came
back, though, and everything's great now, at least until the next
contest. )

I am not doing the WPX seriously, so if you work KH8/N5OLS,
LISTEN AGAIN.  I will be NH8/N5OLS this time.

73, Tnx for the calls,

Don Barclay
n5ols@samoatelco.com