[3830] AA5B ARRL DX SSB 40m

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] AA5B ARRL DX SSB 40m
From: draperbl@smtplink.mdl.sandia.gov (Draper, Bruce L)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 97 15:34:40 MDT
Not much of an effort, but it's all I had time for (2 hrs on Saturday night,
2 hrs on Sunday morning, all S&P). Thought I'd post it anyway...

  AA5B  40 meters  110 Qs  53 countries  17k

      (plus a few dozen Qs on 80 and 160)

       FT1000 + 2-el 40 @ 60 ft

Heard no Europeans during my brief stint, but lots of other good mults. In
fact, despite the obvious lack of NE propagation, I thought condx sounded
pretty good. Maybe if I'd spent more time I would've thought otherwise. It
seemed like everything to the west was over S9 (including the QRP JAs),
and I don't think any of the hordes of KH6/7s were less than 20 dB over S9.
As an added bonus, the low bands were nice and quiet here.

During one sweep of 40 on Sunday morning, I noticed not 2, not 3, but *4*
bug-gun JAs using the same listening frequency. 7237 sure sounded busy, and
no one was sending the JAs' callsigns. Don't know how long that had been
going on, but the logs are probably interesting.

I must've had xmtr problems... every time I worked K1AR @ 6D2X with his
rock-crushing signal, he gave me "2-2 KW." Thanks, John  :-)

      73,

       Bruce AA5B
          Albuquerque, NM