[3830] 4V2A (9A3A op) WPX Phone SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] 4V2A (9A3A op) WPX Phone SOAB HP
From: 9A3A@ACN2.NET (Ivo Pezer, 9A3A/HH2AW/5B4ADA)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 00:08:01 -0800
4V2A (opr.9A3A/HH2AW) SOAB HP Score

Band    QSO     PTS     PTS/Q   PX
80      101     520     5.1      11
40      1350    6558    4.9     554
20      2205    5034    2.3     286
15       576    1219    2.1      60
10         5      14    2.8       4
------------------------------------
TOTAL:  4237    13345   3.1     915 => 12,210.675

RIG: FT990/ETO91B
ANTS:KT34XA/3 el HyGain 4om/Phased Inv V's 80m

Decided to operate on Thursday, after getting permission for a special
call 4V2A. Loaded my car with all equipment and rushed to HH2PK's QTH to
fix 80m Phased Inv Vee's (someone cut two legs on one side and I just
measured how much wire was missing in comparison to the other side and
soldered wires). 80m seemed to be in good shape but I started on 40.
Stayed on 7040 untill early morning and managed 1100 QSOs first night!
20 was opened to EU, but very weak signals and after some time decided
to go QRT for 1,5 hours till condx improve. City power failed and I
realised there were no EU multipliers I worked on 20 early morning in my
log. They just dissapeared from K1EA file. Fortunatelly, after
restarting CT EU mults showed in my log again. EU stations were very
weak  and according to Robert, S53A at S52A MM team were USA in EU and
I turned ant to USA and had some fun with pile ups. In comparison to my
last year score I was ahead in both QSOs and mults all the time. City
power failed again and CT refused to show my one hour break! Well, I
left my family at home on Easter weekend and no wonder there was some
Voodoo going on over there. Unfortunatelly there were more bad things to
come. I had short USA run on 15 with very good rates but for the short
time and finished the first day with most of my 2565 QSOs on 40 and 20
m. The score at 0000 was 6M pts and 705 multipliers, which looked good
for the first day. My strategy to work MANY QSOs on low bands did not
work because starting with the second day Murphy walked in - city power,
which is never reliable in HH, started to fail in very short intervals,
so I almost completelly missed second low band night. I even managed to
work some EUs on 80 with 90 watts, but only a few. You need POWER if you
want to be competitive on low bands, and mine was not on. Well, still
not reason to quit because there was Sunday to try to make it better if
possible. 101 QSOs were logged in on 80 and a couple of hundred on 40.
But, when I tried to plug in cooling fan I blew my FT990 fuse! Pat,
HH2PK was on the beach and so was my XYL and I did not have my house
key. After some time and a lot of sweating, found 20 Amp fuse in my tool
box and my RIG was alive again. After some relativelly good runs on 20
city power went off again and again and again, so I spent most of the
day turning on and off a generator and loosing frequency and QSOs but my
score was still better than last year score. Spent some time on 15
barefoot to work more USA multipliers when EUs were not reachable, and
managed to pass my last year barrier of 11,6 M points. I don't know why
I stopped USA pile up on 20m 4o minutes before the end....wanted to try
few more 6 point EUs on 40m. When trying to tune ant tuner and amp my
nose detected typical electronic smell...the reason why ant tuner
behaved strange and realised I've just blown my ETO 91B amp. So, it's
not fully protected! I forgot to change antenna. Well, I've been
thinking of sending it to Alpha Power for modifications since I've got
an early model and I'll have to do it now.
Well, that's VooDoo country contesting and I still love it. I've already
forgotten how contesting without problems looks.
Congratulations to Carlos, TI0C for likelly setting a new NA record.
Thanks to all of you who called me and CU on CW weekend.
Ivo, 4V2A/9A3A/HH2AW/5B4ADA etc.