[3830] K3WW WPX SSB SO AB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K3WW WPX SSB SO AB HP
From: k3ww@fast.net (Charles Fulp)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:02:20 +0000
K3WW WPX SSB  SO AB HP

QSOS  MULTS  POINTS    CLAIMED SCORE
56     48      0         0

Much harder exercise in futility than I expected.
Not that many W's calling CQ.

Reasons for the exercise in futility weekend.
1. Limited time, major family activities on the holiday weekend
2. FRC was not pushing for a major club effort in the WPX.
3. It was a PHONE contest.
4. Extensive discussion on 0 vs 1 point and its effect on the
contest.
5. A chance to break the record. (does anyone know what the
most QSOs x Mults for 0 points  is?)
6. A chance to listen to the contest operators, long enough to
get a nice feel for what was going on, without hurting my
own score.

BAD things about this effort.
1. Hearing many friends and not being able to work them.
(My effort may have given 2 or 3 W's an extra multiplier, but
had no impact on the scores of the top contenders, it may have
hurt the scores of very limited entrants, who needed every QSO.)
2. Working guys that surely did not need another 0 point K3.
(I tried never to interrupt a run of DX, or even a serious
W run, but called guys that were begging.  My apologies to
NE6N, who I worked on 2 bands, and KC5WCO, whom I duped.  I even
checked to see if KC4W was USA before I called him the second time,
but after the contact I cop pied the real call.)

Interesting thing about this effort.
1. Not that many W's that are calling CQ and workable
from PA. I hit all bands during what should have been
good hours for domestic QSO, but surely could have pulled out
more backscatter QSO etc, if I had devoted more time
and was not shy about disrupting productive runs by W's.

2. P40V was real noticeable, should be the winner if he
was Single Op.  WP3? was everywhere, but a 2 pointer.
KH7R was everywhere and decent, the ONLY Pacific heard,
(maybe heard 1 WH6) even though the antenna was West
almost all weekend.  9A1A was good and always there,
even heard them on 160.

3. The bands did not appear crowded here.  Bottom of the cycle
and major holiday weekend for many of us, may have caused this.

Thoughts:
1. W's working each other for points probably would not
drastically reduce the advantage of Northern SA or AF
QTHs for big point totals. It might raise W scores
vs EU/AS/OC, hard to tell, they are never really comparable.

2. More W's might CQ if they got a point for locals, and
thus, more guys for S/P type DX to answer and possibly work.
Hard to tell how it sounds from VK, but tuning the band
only produced a few QSOs each pass.  Calling CQ would have
been productive, I heard plenty of USA stations answering guys,
be it DX or W's.

3. Calling CQ is the way to build a score, in an event where
apparently the vast majority of participants are answering CQs.
It would be interesting to see the serial numbers being sent to
the high scoring guys. I'll bet the majority are under 100 QSOs.
(Not any significant amount of $$ but its my strong suspicion)

73 de Chas K3WW k3ww@fast.net