[3830] Field Day K4JMH 6A SFL

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Field Day K4JMH 6A SFL
From: pk@ij.net (Paul E. Knupke Jr.)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 19:21:36 -0400
Clearwater ARS/St. Peteburg ARC Field Day

K4JMH
6A SFL
Low Power

        CW              PHONE
80      --              35
40      136             239
20      106             323
15      33              148
10      1               109
6       ---             35
2       8 (Packet)      15
--------------------------------
        284             905
        x 2             x 1
--------------------------------
        568      +      905     =  1473 x 2 = 2946 QSO Points

Bonus Claimed:

Emergency Power  6 x 100  600
Public Location           100
Media Relations           100
Packet                    100
VHF+                      100
Natural Power             100
W1AW Bulletin             100
                        -------
                         1200 points + 2946 = 4146 points

Our field day is used as an opportunity to let as many people try HF out and
to learn
about propogation, and to have a great time!  It was the first time to use
K4JMH on the air also.  CARS received K4JMH as a vanity callsign in April.
K4JMH was the call of a past officer and active member who became a silent
key last summer.  Not a great CW call but our CW crew became used to it
really fast!

We never go all out on getting lots of contacts.  We operate in a higher
catagory so
we can give more people a chance to operate.  Only a few of those at field
day are
contesters.  I rarely get on the radio during field day.  I made a handful
of contacts on 10 and let the new hams at it.  I spent about an hour and a
half on 20 late at night running stations.

We made quite a few more contacts than last year.  All but 10m and 6m were
up over last year.

20 meters was excellent.  I spend between about 2AM and 3:30AM on 20 meters
phone and had good paths to the west and midwest and even Hawaii.  15m
appeared to be strong to California most of field day.  It was nice to be
able to do 75 SSB (even though we only did 35 Qs.)  The 10m meter phone
station doubled as a 75m phone station.

6M and 10M finally opened about 9:30 AM on Sunday and the majority of
contacts were made on these bands between then and the end of field day (2
PM EDT.)

We had alot of people participate (probably between 75 and 100) in someway.
A great cookout was held around midnight and we managed to escape rain
(again) all weekend!!  Though there were plenty of cases of sunburn.  We had
several folks who have never been at field day before who had a great time.
Our primary 6M operator was a 16 year old who was licensed in March.  We had
some of our club members who are in high school really get into it too!

73 and CU on NAQP,
de KR4YL
Paul

* Paul E. Knupke, Jr.   pk@ij.net                       *
* Largo, Florida        Fidonet 1:3603/570.0            *
* Amateur Radio KR4YL   ICQ UIN 605259                  *