[3830] N5LT - SSB Sprint

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5LT - SSB Sprint
From: russ@inetport.com (Russ - N5LT)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 22:35:51 -0500 (CDT)
After a frenzied pre-contest station setup I got off to a pretty good start.
After the first 5 minutes I only had 3 guys give me a higher qso number they
were K6LL (+2, +7 and +40!), W0MU (-13, -27,+4 @ 0306 nice comeback Mike),
and WB0O (+1, +1 +11).  Unfortunately I couldn't sustain the rate.  Twenty
pretty much lost it's punch for me after 0200z.  I went to 40m in earnest at
around 0115z though I tried 20m up until the end.  Eighty was not very
productive though I spent about an hour on it.  Pretty much status quo.

As usual I got buried in mults. I had 44 mults by 0200z so I felt ok, but I
could only manage 5 in the last 2 hours.  I pointed an antenna to the south
on 20m but nothing happened.  I got a Cuban station on 40m for my lone DX
mult.

Stuff I missed: VE7 (called CQ for one on low end of 20m to no avail, VE1,
RI, MD, WY, NE, ME I think another state or so.  I did find an abundance of
Alaskans, that was nice.

I heard some guys complaining after the contest about lids on 80 but I just
don't get that.  With the q's lasting but a few seconds it doesn't seem to
be  a problem.  Maybe once or twice I heard "not here u contester", so I
just moved a kc and continued on.  By the time they try to take a swing at
you you're gone.  That's a plus for the qsy rule.

I was disappointed with my finish, but as usual I had lots of fun (though it
takes me about 12 hours for me to realize it!).  Lots of really nice scores
out there.  Hopefully the upswing in spots will bring some participation
back to this contest.  I know it's not a favorite of many, but it's a great
contest to keep you nimble and to limber up your SSB op'ing skills.

BTW, I was operating at Jim's place, N3BB.  TU OM!  (Again.)

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

   80SSB      58          58         58       0         0
   40SSB     110         110        110       9         1
   20SSB     118         118        118      39         0

 Totals      286         286        286      48         1

    Final Score = 14014 points.

73 and GL to everyone this fall!

Russ--

N5LT