[3830] KK1L 97 SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KK1L 97 SOHP
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ronald D Rossi)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 16:14:20 -0400
                           CAL QSO PARTY SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 04-OCT-97, 05-OCT-97, 05-Oct-97

    Callsign Used : KK1L
         Operator : KK1L

         Category : SOHP

 Default Exchange : # VT

             Name : Ronald D. Rossi
   City/State/Zip : Swanton, VT  05488-9713

   80CW        1           1          3       0
   40CW       33          33         99       0
   40SSB      15          15         30       1
   20CW       70          69        207       7
   20SSB     193         191        382      41
   15CW       18          18         54       1
   15SSB      32          32         64       5

 Totals      362         359        839      55

 Total operating time = 19:33 hours

    Final Score = 46145 points.

 SOAPBOX:

The activity level was impressive. I missed the county sweep again this year,
but I am closing on it! My best CQP showing yet. I had some family commitments
that kept me from operating the whole 24 hours allowed. No wine again this
year I'm afraid! 100% straight key again. I may do that for SS too. (Was that
a collective groan I heard...Oh please not THAT fist for another contest Ron!!)

I have to appologize to all the folks I asked repeats of and maybe plain did
not hear. About 95% of the repeat requests were due to rig problems. My
Ten-Tec Omni-D has a receive antenna jack with a relay which grounds it when
transmitting as well as opening the TX power from the RX circuits. 17 years
and it finally gave up the ghost. It was sticking closed on receive and really
degrading the signals!!! I didn't want to do anything hasty (like wire in a
big mechanical relay =;-) ) in the heat of the contest, so all I did was open
the rig up and see if I could clean it or jiggle it or whatever to coax it
into cooperating. That was my first break...early and totally unplanned. Reed
relays don't respond to "jiggle or whatever". I had forgotten that the rig
started doing this at the end of the Sprint last month! I had to put up with a
full contest worth of this. I made half my contacts deaf as a post. Again my
appologies to those that thought I should be copying them fine...you were
right!

--
73 de KK1L ex N1PBT...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics