[3830] N5LT CQWW SSB 15m Single Band

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5LT CQWW SSB 15m Single Band
From: russ@inetport.com (Russ - N5LT)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:18:05 -0600 (CST)
1997 CQWW SSB

Op: N5LT
Station: W5KFT

Class:  SO 15m
Op time: 30 hours

 BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones

   15SSB    1918        1856       4320       144        35

 Totals     1918        1856       4320       144        35

    Final Score = 773280 points.

Equipment:

TS850S
AL-1500
5/5/5  135/90/45  Bottom 2 fixed on EU
Logged with TR Log

A BIG thank you to Bryan, W5KFT, for allowing me to use his station.  Thanks
also to George, K5TR, for helping me find an alternate station to use after
my original plans fell through.  The more I operate from the ranch the more
I see what an excellent station it is/is becoming and what a pain it is
having it in my own section to compete against in SS!  In a few weeks all
those "40 over 9" stateside reports will be going to my competition!

This was a fun contest. No real problems as I got all the disasters over
with at the beginning.  A big fireworks show as a quick disconnect connector
had a MAJOR failure and a keyboard that crapped out at 00:00 after it worked
fine during setup.  Some rain static and some uncharacteristic line noise
were merely annoyances.

Lots of fun being able to run the JA's and work Europe again in reasonable
quantity.  I was surprised at the number of Euro's when I looked at the
summary sheet, I didn't have any good rate, just kinda grunted it out.  Lots
of W's as well.  Also, look at those nice round numbers on the summary
sheet!  Almost like I hit a goal and quit.

At the end of the first night (Friday local) I wrote down some numbers that
I thought would represent a "good score".  I do this quite a bit after I get
a feel for conditions and I am usually pretty darn close.  The numbers I put
down were 1200/34/135.  I was very surprised to see those numbers go by the
wayside almost after Day 1.  In fact, before dupes, I was only 12 q's away
from from matching my first day's qso number!

On the band:

Worked my last station on Friday nite local at 0211z (KH0I).  Worked my
first one (Sat. a.m. local) at 1100z, the ever present ZD8Z.  Sat. nite
local I worked VK4EJ at 0359z.  The past year or so I made the 60 mile drive
home so I could stay with my family, undoubtedly missing some qso's but
giving my family some semblance of my prescence.  (Of course this also
required a 4:00am wake up call to get back out by sunrise)  This year, with
the band open a bit longer, I stayed around.  This allowed me to set the DVP
on autopilot and work another 10 stations or so in the 0300 hour, including
a mult in VR6PAC at 0330 - a nice surprise!  My first station in the log on
Sun. a.m. local was at 1224z.  I heard some other stations earlier, but
already had them in the log.

The band was wall to wall at times.  I cq'd as low as 21.204 and as high as
21.415.

Lots of quality competition and BIG scores in the 15m single band category.

Just a bit of data from my effort (after dupes removed):

      Continent List

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =      0     0     0     0   350     0    350
  VE calls    =      0     0     0     0   133     0    133
  N.A. calls  =      0     0     0     0    66     0     66
  S.A. calls  =      0     0     0     0    71     0     71
  Euro calls  =      0     0     0     0   600     0    600
  Afrc calls  =      0     0     0     0    50     0     50
  Asia calls  =      0     0     0     0    31     0     31
  JA calls    =      0     0     0     0   455     0    455
  Ocen calls  =      0     0     0     0   100     0    100

  Unknowns    =      0     0     0     0     0     0      0

  Total calls =      0     0     0     0  1856     0   1856

QSO distribution by zone:

   1.           25  464
   2.           14  309
   3.           15  254
   4.           05  235
   5.           03  136
   6.           04  112
   7.           08   41
   8.           30   29
   9.           13   28
  10.           20   20
  11.           32   19
  12.           27   18
  13.           09   18
  14.           16   18
  15.           28   17
  16.           33   17
  17.           11   17
  18.           31   16
  19.           38   10
  20.           07    9
  21.           36    8
  22.           19    7
  23.           06    7
  24.           35    7
  25.           24    6
  26.           37    6
  27.           02    5
  28.           10    5
  29.           29    4
  30.           12    3
  31.           40    3
  32.           01    3
  33.           39    2
  34.           17    2
  35.           21    1

Rate

 HOUR   15SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------   -----   -----
    0     153     153     153
    1      86      86     239
    2       9       9     248
    3       0       0     248
    4       0       0     248
    5       0       0     248
    6       0       0     248
    7       0       0     248
    8       0       0     248
    9       0       0     248
   10       0       0     248
   11       9       9     257
   12      36      36     293
   13      33      33     326
   14      43      43     369
   15     100     100     469
   16      56      56     525
   17      61      61     586
   18      69      69     655
   19      35      35     690
   20      31      31     721
   21      94      94     815
   22      62      62     877
   23      72      72     949

    0      97      97    1046
    1      56      56    1102
    2       6       6    1108
    3      10      10    1118
    4       0       0    1118
    5       0       0    1118
    6       0       0    1118
    7       0       0    1118
    8       0       0    1118
    9       0       0    1118
   10       0       0    1118
   11       0       0    1118
   12      10      10    1128
   13      49      49    1177
   14      87      87    1264
   15      79      79    1343
   16      71      71    1414
   17      60      60    1474
   18      71      71    1545
   19      65      65    1610
   20      60      60    1670
   21      62      62    1732
   22      67      67    1799
   23      57      57    1856

  TOTAL  1856

Best of luck to everyone in CW SS and the remaining events in '97.

73.

ps Thanks to Runt for keeping the mice at bay

Russ--

N5LT
russ@inetport.com
"Contesting is a Contact Sport"