[3830] FS5PL CQWW SSB Multi Single

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] FS5PL CQWW SSB Multi Single
From: K9PG@aol.com (K9PG@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 19:00:22 -0500 (EST)
Here is the break down, the log still needs to be checked, so this is a
preliminary score but it shouldn't be too far off from what we submit.

          BAND      Raw Qs   Valid Qs    Pts      Countries    Zones

         160SSB      63            61         126         23            9
          80SSB     487           482        1086        70           18
          40SSB     718           701        1668       103          26
          20SSB    2174          2143       5366       152          37
          15SSB    2782          2702       6736       137          37
          10SSB    1965          1938       4400       111          28

            Totals    8189          8027      19382      596          155

                          Pts per Q  =   2.414

                         Final Score =    14555882 points.

Run Station:  Knwd TS930, AL82A, A4 tribander w/40m, inverteed Vs on 80 &160
Mult Station:  Icom 736, IC2KL, TH3JR and a 40m inverteed V

Both stations had Dunestar filters, we couldn't have done this without them!

Ops:  FS5PL, K9PG, K9NW, K9VV, AA4NC

What a contest!    We exceeded our expectations by far!

I predicted that we would end up with about 7700/550/150, and that was only
if we had 10 meters...  and I didn't think that we would.  But about 4 months
ago, K9NW predicted that we would in fact have 10 meters.   Just shy of 2000
Qs later, I guess he was right!   Great country total on 20!  After a total
of 112 last year, 152 was a nice surprise!  We could have had packet there,
but we needed the packet laptop for logging after running across computer
problems.   We beat the QSO total of the NA record by about 400 Qs but didn't
come close on the mults.   We had some great rates!   AA4NC had a 325 hour on
15 the first day and I had my best hour ever on 10 with 357.  These could be
better when we run it through Q-Rate.    K9VV and K9NW cleaned up the first
night on 40m!  All but 76 of the 40m Qs were the first night

All in all it was an awesome contest with exception of the operators, most of
whom were US ops, who insist on dropping their calls in when they aren't
being called, which messes up the Q with the person who is being called and
wastes valuable time, much like the VY1JA pile up on 15m on Sunday, but not
as bad.   One person that really stands out is probably the most well known
DXer out of the 8 land area who just really got to me in the first hour.
 After listening to him dump in his call 5 or 6 times after specifically
saying "the Kilowatt Oscar only"  (which is not even close to this person's
call), I told him to put a sock in it and stand by while I work the "Kilowatt
Oscar."   After N8KOJ was in the log, I called him by name, logged him and
told him to open his ears and try listening next time.  What made this even
more disappointing was his antics that followed.  The next 5 minutes worth of
Qs were followed by comments like "try listening on the next QSO" and "if you
had any ears, you could copy the calls the first time."    He eventually went
away and he didn't work us the rest of the contest.    The EUs were pretty
good this time and the JAs were just their usual unbelievably patient,
controlled selves and didn't call out of turn at all.   Everyone should take
lessons from them!

Thanks once again to FS5PL for the use of his station overlooking beautiful
Orient Bay.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, how about seeing some other Caribbean
Multi-Single scores, namely 8P9Z....    Dump it in guys!

Paul K9PG