[3830] KB1H M/M CQWW SSB 1997

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KB1H M/M CQWW SSB 1997
From: kb1h@chowda.com (Dick Pechie)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 18:47:55 GMT
                     CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: KB1H                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Multi

      160        0        0     0.00      0       0
       80      103      257     2.50     16      59
       40      165      443     2.68     21      84
       20      453     1317     2.91     29      95
       15      427     1211     2.84     33     129
       10       30       69     2.30      9      21

     Totals   1178     3297     2.80    108     388  =>  1,635,312

Operator List: KB1H, AA1CE, K1EBY, N1BU, NB1U

Club Affiliation: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

                             Signature Dick Pechie - KB1H

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Dick Pechie  KB1H
               P.O. Box 246
               East Killingly, CT 06243

Comments:

We started the contest with only the 15M beam (5 element Telrex @ 120'),

a 40M dipole, and a South Sloper on 80M. Unfortunately the rebuilding is
way behind schedule. The goal was to play with the 15M beam as long as
the band held and then do the same with a 20M (5 element Telrex @ 90')
when we got it connected to a piece of hardline. That is why the M/M
entry. We really wanted to give both of these antennas a workout and
still
generate the most points we could for YCCC.

Saturday was raining quite heavy so most of the day a 40M 3-element KLM
beam was rebuilt in the barn. When the rain stopped around 2000Z we all
ran outside and laid out 360' of hardline to the 20M beam. No rotor
cable
yet but the beam was fixed on Europe. By the time we had finished the
hardline run it was too late to give the antenna a good workout.
Everyone
was anxious for Sunday.

Sunday came and a running frequency of 14.191 was chosen. Being able to
run
for a few hours, go away, and then come back and run on about same
frequency
was a luxury we have not had here at KB1H. Running at a frequency below
14.250 was also a treat. With 15M and 20M both going rates were
approaching
300/hr. I don't think we really ran both bands real hard at the same
time
though. YB0 answering our 20M CQ was nice at one point.

There was alot of non-operating time due to work trying to be done
around the rain and daylight. CT clock had us for only 31 hours of
operating with most of that at night plugging away on 80 and 40.
Really hurts the rate/hr that was built up during the 15M and 20M runs.

Conclusion was that we are quite satisfied with the new configuration
of antennas so far with 4 beams still on the ground and to go
up ASAP. No, we don't expect to run with the "Big Dogs" but we might
have to yell one or two fewer times in the pile-ups.

Dick - KB1H