[3830] K6ZZ CW SS SOHP Score/Comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K6ZZ CW SS SOHP Score/Comments
From: selbrede%ARIA-2.EDW@mhs.elan.af.mil (Bob Selbrede) (Bob Selbrede)
Date: 07 Nov 97 10:38:00 PST
                            SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 01-Nov-97, 02-Nov-97, 03-Nov-97

    Callsign Used : K6ZZ
         Operator : K6ZZ

         Category : Single Op High Power
     Total Op Time: 20 Hrs

             Name : Bob Selbrede
          Address : 6200 Natoma Ave.
   City/State/Zip : Mojave, CA.  93501
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Southern California Contest Club

   80CW      158         158        316       4
   40CW      212         212        424      14
   20CW       96          96        192       5
   15CW      548         547       1094      56
   10CW       12          12         24       0

 Totals     1026        1025       2050      79

    Final Score = 161,950 points.

The shack:

Kenwood TS-940S, Alpha 76CA, TRLog 6.15

The farm:

160M    Inv Vee @100'
80M             Delta Loop @100'
40M             KLM 4 El @103' (currently wounded)
20M             Optimized 204BA @118'
15M             Homebrew 6 El on 48' boom @55'
10M             Homebrew 6 El on 36' boom @63'

Comments:

This was my first High Power entry in SS.  Actually, my first semi-serious
High Power effort in any contest.  I have historically avoided the High
Power class primarily due to TVI.  I live in a rural area where there is no
cable TV service and most people are using TV antennas with lousy mast
mounted pre-amps.  The potential for TVI complaints had always prevented me
from giving it a serious try.  I decided to go for it and had zero
complaints from anyone.  It was great.  I think replacing my homebrew 8877
amp with the Alpha 76CA may have been the difference.  Now let's see how SS
SSB holds up!

For me 15M was "the band".  The new homebrew beam did a great job.  As is
usually the case, I couldn't get much going on 20M.  I think the darn thing
is too high for domestic contests?  I've got another 204BA in pieces on the
driveway and I'm going to attempt to put it on a side mount at 55' and phase
it with the top one.  I hope that does the trick.  40M turned out to be
better than I expected since the wind had damaged 2 of the 4 elements on the
KLM 40M4.  The the dual-driven elements are still in one piece so the SWR
was tolerable.  Would like to have it fixed for SS SSB, but probably won't
have the time to do it.

I was a little hesitant to jump in and call CQ when the opening bell rang.
It had been a few years since I attempted SS CW and I wasn't sure just how
rusty I had become.  I eventually found a clear spot and called CQ.  I
almost shut the radio off when 38 stations all came back at the same time!
I did end up asking for far too many repeats, but stuck it out anyway.  I
also decided to use TRLog for the first time and didn't really do any
practicing first (I know, big mistake).  All things considered, it worked
pretty well.  I only threatened to through the keyboard out the window 3
times.  I've owned the software for several years now and have thought of
every excuse in the book to put off using it.  I finally said it's now or
never.  I'm glad I did.  There's much to learn though.  Now, if I had only
not slept in Sunday morning and put in the full 24 hours...oh well, that's
another long story...Thanks for the Q's!

73, Bob K6ZZ
(ex W9NQ)
w9nq@ccis.com