[3830] AA4LR SO LP SS SSB GA

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] AA4LR SO LP SS SSB GA
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 97 09:47:25 -0500
Score Summary:
Class A
CALL         SECT    SCORE    QS0'S     SECTS   HRS
AA4LR         GA     35,700    255       70     10

ARRL November Sweepstakes

Call: AA4LR  Mode: SSB  Section: GA  Power: 90 watts (Low)
Category: Single Operator

Band   Qs  Sections
160     0
 80    20
 40   105
 20    60
 15    60
 10    10
--------------------
Total 255     70     = 35,700

Time: 10 hours

Club Affiliation: South East Contest Club

Equipment:

Venerable Kenwood TS430S
Murch UT2000 Tuner to 125 foot doublet at 15 feet (80m)
Cushcraft R7000 at 8 feet (40-10m)

Comments:

Although SS has been my first and favorite contest, I decided at the last
minute not to take it too seriously. Instead, I focused on having fun! My
score might be little more than half of last year, but it was much more
enjoyable. My wife thinks so, too.

Started off on 10m with a quick scan, then went to 15m. At 2230z, went to
20m, but found it tough going. Back to 15m, but then went to 40m at 2330.
Last year, 40m was the pits due to overcrowding since 15 and 20 had
closed down. This year, 40m had an strange quality. Region 1 broadcasters
weren't as loud as normal, and stateside signals were strong. Worked 40m
for almost 2 hours, with the best rates of the contest. The R7000 does
really well on 40m. While it isn't a 40-2CD, it does hold its own, even
with low power.

Took a break for dinner, then back on at 0300. By 0500z, I decided I was
tired, so I slept, got up, went to church, had lunch and then back on at
1900z. It is amazing what you can do when you aren't taking contesting
too seriously.

At 2230z, had the best moment of the contest. Was calling VE7SZ on 20m
for a new mult, but I wasn't having much success. Tuned around with the
second VFO and found VY1JA begging for contacts. Worked him on the first
call! With low power, this isn't the usual experience. Worked VE7SZ a
couple of calls later for my last mult.

Missed Maine, Northern New York, Mississippi, Alaska, Wyoming, Nebraska,
Newfoundland, Maritime and Ontario. Clearly, if I had operated more, I
would have found ON, NE, NNY, and MS. Heard NL once, and MAR twice with a
huge pileup. AK and WY seem difficult from here, as I missed them last
year, too.

Worked several SECC members, who came out in force for SS: K2UFT, N4UK,
W4AN, W4WA. Heard others on as well.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901