[3830] WP2Z SSB SS Score (long version)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WP2Z SSB SS Score (long version)
From: k4ma@mindspring.com (Jim Stevens)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 23:25:29 -0500
    Callsign Used : WP2Z
         Operator : K4MA
         Category : Single Op - High Power
 Default Exchange : # B WP2Z 77 VI
        Team/Club : PVRC

   80SSB      40          40         80       0
   40SSB     160         160        320       1
   20SSB    1082        1081       2162      16
   15SSB     614         614       1228      62
   10SSB     484         484        968       0

 Totals     2380        2379       4758      79

 Final Score = 375882 points.

 Equipment: Yaesu FT-1000 & Dentron Clipperton-L
 Antennas : Force 12 C4 @ 30 feet
            Cushcraft 402CD @ 20 feet
            75M sloping dipole apex @ 30 feet
 Site     : Windwood which is on top of a hill
            that is approx. 900 feet above sea level.
            Nothing but water between the station
            and US Mainland.

Rate Sheet (best overall rate according to QRATE was
            160 @ 2219Z):

  HOUR   80SSB   40SSB   20SSB   15SSB   10SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   21       0       0       0     152       0     152     152
   22       0       0      46      79       0     125     277
   23       0       0     130       0       0     130     407

    0       0       0     129       0       0     129     536
    1       0       0     145       0       0     145     681
    2       0      18      90       0       0     108     789
    3       3      65       0       0       0      68     857
    4       5      19      32       0       0      56     913
    5       0       0      32       0       0      32     945
    6       0       0       0       0       0       0     945
    7       0       0       0       0       0       0     945
    8       0       0       0       0       0       0     945
    9      21       0       0       0       0      21     966
   10      11      56       0       0       0      67    1033
   11       0       0       0       0       0       0    1033
   12       0       0      75       0       0      75    1108
   13       0       0      37      10       0      47    1155
   14       0       0       0     114       0     114    1269
   15       0       0       0      67      45     112    1381
   16       0       0       0       0     130     130    1511
   17       0       0       0       0     112     112    1623
   18       0       0       0       0     115     115    1738
   19       0       0       0      17      82      99    1837
   20       0       0       0     110       0     110    1947
   21       0       0       0      62       0      62    2009
   22       0       0      56       3       0      59    2068
   23       0       0     108       0       0     108    2176

    0       0       1      80       0       0      81    2257
    1       0       0     103       0       0     103    2360
    2       0       1      18       0       0      19    2379

  TOTAL    40     160    1081     614     484

QSO Distribution:

   1.           OH  124
   2.           IL  121
   3.           MI  108
   4.          STX   91
   5.           VA   73
   6.          MDC   68
   7.          NTX   66
   8.           EP   59
   9.          WNY   58
  10.           TN   55
  11.           NC   54
  12.           CT   51
  13.           GA   50
  14.          NNJ   49
  15.           IN   49
  16.          SFL   47
  17.          SCV   45
  18.          WPA   45
  19.          LAX   45
  20.           MN   44
  21.           CO   41
  22.           EN   40
  23.          WWA   40
  24.           WI   39
  25.           EM   38
  26.           MO   37
  27.           OR   35
  28.           KY   35
  29.          NFL   34
  30.           AZ   34
  31.           KS   34
  32.           NH   32
  33.           AL   31
  34.          ORG   27
  35.           AR   27
  36.          SNJ   27
  37.          NLI   27
  38.           ON   25
  39.           SV   25
  40.           OK   24
  41.           WV   23
  42.           IA   23
  43.           LA   21
  44.           SC   19
  45.          SJV   18
  46.          WMA   17
  47.           NV   17
  48.           NE   14
  49.           ID   14
  50.           MS   14
  51.          SDG   14
  52.           SF   13
  53.           SB   13
  54.           QC   13
  55.           ME   13
  56.           VT   13
  57.           MT   12
  58.           RI   12
  59.           EB   12
  60.           WY   11
  61.           AB   10
  62.           NM   10
  63.           UT   10
  64.          WTX    9
  65.          NNY    8
  66.          PAC    8
  67.           DE    8
  68.           EW    7
  69.           SD    7
  70.           SK    7
  71.           BC    7
  72.           PR    6
  73.           ND    5
  74.          MAR    5
  75.           MB    4
  76.           NL    3
  77.           AK    3
  78.          NWT    1
  79.           VI    1

The Story:

I have returned from Paradise yet again.
The pictures of Windwood on the Internet
Web Page do not do it justice.  It is
without a doubt the most beautiful house
and the most incredible views that I have
seen in the Caribbean.

This was my first trip to the Caribbean for
a single op effort, and it appears I came
a way with a win.  But let me congratulate
Rich, N7TR, on a fantastic job to make it
so close.  Look at our respective rate sheets.
He was far ahead after the first night, and
if not for my good 10M opening that he did not
get, he probably would have won.

But this plaque was not won without some work
and last minute sweating.  I arrived on St. Croix
on Monday, 11/10, and I was on the air that night
One advantage of going to KP2 or KP4, no license
problems or waits.

The next day I had scheduled maintenance on the
Force 12 C4 to replace the feedline for the
tribander part with new coax sent down by KE2VB.
(An aside, Larry Reader, KE2VB, does a great
job in making sure that Windwood is as ready
as possible for incoming renters.  Thanks a
bunch, Larry).  I also put up a Cushcraft A3
on a 10 foot mast for a second, listening
antenna (which turned out to be of limited
usefulness in this contest), and I installed a
feedline for a 80M (CW) dipole for use outside
the contest.  After 24 hours there, the station
was cooking.

The next several days I worked DX when the beach,
snorkeling, and great restaurants were not
interfering with radio.  But even this fun was
not without some visits from Murphy.

On Wednesday evening I had a asked with KE2VB to
just let him know how the setup was going.  During
the QSO, the Clipperton (my amp) seemed to smoke,
funny noises and bad smells.  I turned the amp off
and didn't use it the rest of that evening.

On Thursday, I opened the Clipperton up.  It looked
like one of the doorknob caps on the plate tuning
circuit had smoked along with another cap on the
same circuit.  I am basically an appliance op.
I can solder connectors and put in feedlines and
other basic stuff, and I'm considered a computer
whiz by those that know me, but when it comes to
really debugging and fixing RF circuits, forget it.
Well, I had the Clipperton manual with me, so I read
the schematic and went to local Radio Shack to try
and get replacements.  No luck (as expected) with
exact replacements, so I decided to power it up
again with cover off and see what arced.  As Gomer
would say, "Surprise, Surprise", it worked, and it
kept working (maybe Dentron was the parent company
of Energizer) with the apparently blown caps.

On Friday evening after another fantastic outside dinner
on the water with the cool trade winds blowing, we
were back at Windwood watching Jurassic Park - Lost
World on tape when the power went out.  My wife (Karen)
and I went outside to try and start the generator (to
see the end of the movie), but no luck.  We went to bed,
hoping that the power will be back on tomorrow.

Saturday morning and still no power and the generator
won't start.  Panic is in the back of my mind at this
point.  Luckily my assertive (and beautiful, wonderful)
wife calls the St. Croix Power Company and reports the
power outage.  I'm expecting a response of "Don't worry
mon, we fix sometime next week", instead, they say they
will check into it.  A couple of hours later a crew shows
up and determines that a transformer has blown.  They
claim that another crew will fix it today (yeah, right
I think).  Lorrin Woodman (the owner of Windwood)
and I continue trying to get the generator started.
We take the generator to a repair place, and they think
the carb is clogged.  They agree to do clean the carb
and get it running today.  Lorrin shows back up with
the generator working about 1600Z, so I at least know
that I can run low power using the generator.  I get
on the air with the generator to make sure that all
is working (it is).

At 1720Z, I QRT so I can get gas for the generator
and run some other last minute errands.  I return
an hour or so later to the welcome site of a bucket
truck fixing the transformer.  Shortly there
after we have power.  Check the time.  OK time,
finish watching Lost World from the night before
(my first time to see it), take a shower, and
I'm ready to rock'n'roll (literally).  It has
become a tradition with AA4NC and me to listen
to loud Lynyrd Skynyrd (turn it up, dude) just
before the contest to get ourselves pumped up.
Guess you have to be from W4 to appreciate.

The contest starts on 15M for me.  You can
read the rate above.  No hours up there with
the best from the West but consistency was
the key for me.  Stay on the band that was
generating 100+ Qs per hour.

General comments:

Had WH2U (Guam, @1223) & WH0AAV (Saipan, @1230) call
in on 20M on Sunday morning.

Thank you to VY1JA (K6LA) for calling me for my only
VY1/VE8.

Last 5 sections worked:
5. VI
4. NL
3. UT (Can you believe?)
2. PR
1. AK

484 QSOs on 10M: some would say WOW!  But
I say hard work.  They may be the unmined
mass, but they are also the uninformed mass
(at least in SS).  Lots of talking someone
through the Q.  Lots of explaining, etc.
FYI, I found that if I would really explain
the exchange to someone about every 15 minutes
then those trying to get through in the pileup
would be in tune and get the info right for
the most part.

I found 40M & 80M very tough from VI.
I tried to get stuff going on those
bands, but no luck.  I was very
surprised that I made as many Qs on 20M
as I did on 15M & 10M combined.

BTW and according to K1DG's Amateur Radio
Almanac, my score was the 3rd highest ever
behind KP2A (N2IC) and W6GO (N6IG).  N7TR's
score was the 8th highest of all time.  For
next year, who will be the first to break
400K for SS SSB?

Thanks for the Qs.  See ya from VP5 for
ARRL DX SSB.

73, Jim Stevens, K4MA & 8P9JA