[3830] WC1M SOAB HP CQWW CW 1997

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WC1M SOAB HP CQWW CW 1997
From: \"Dick Green\"."<dick.green@valley.net ("Dick Green".)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:52:21 -0500
                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: WC1M                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Unlimited

      160        0        0     0.00      0       0
       80       34       75     2.21      8      25
       40      102      261     2.56     24      54
       20      601     1729     2.88     32      77
       15      464     1346     2.90     25      74
       10      123      345     2.80     16      43
     Totals   1324     3756     2.84    105     273  =>  1,419,768

Time On: 21.5 hours

Equipment: TS950SDX, Alpha 87A, CT on NEC 125 MHz Pentium
Antennas:  TH7 at 71' (U.S. Tower motorized rotating tubular) + T2X
           40M full size vertical with 60 radial GP
           80M inverted vee at 60'

Been in many contests, but this was the first serious effort with decent
antennas, all of which were erected this summer (tnx for help from Tower
Talk). Never had more than about 600 QSOs before. High point was working 250
JA's in 2 1/2 hours on 20M at Saturday sunset. What a blast! Ran Europeans
for over an hour on 20M and 15M several times. Gotta find a way to work more
hours and gotta find a chair that doesn't leave my bottom numb!

Propagation conditions were probably about as good as it gets at this point
in the cycle. 10M was alive the entire contest, although signals levels were
not great except for a few amazing openings. 15M was consistently fine,
especially into EU and JA. 20M was great for EU in the daytime, JA at
sunset, and over the pole at night, but the band closed down early on Friday
night. Couldn't establish a run on 40M and 80M, probably due to the modest
antennas. The snow started flying just before I could lay out the radials
for the last three elements of the new 4-square. Had to make do with one
element. It worked for s-and-p, but not for running. Should be a different
story next year. 80M was kinda disappointing. But the new beam is superb --
I may not be a really big gun, but I sure felt like one in the runs and rare
multiplier pileups.

See you all in WPX!