[3830] WA8YRS 160 MTR CONTEST SO/LP UNASSISTED

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WA8YRS 160 MTR CONTEST SO/LP UNASSISTED
From: drussell@knox.net (Donald Russell)
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 97 19:04:48 PST
                          1997 ARRL 160 METER CONTEST

     Call used: WA8YRS                                         Location: OH

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 100

     Callsign of Operator: WA8YRS

     Exchanged Information: WA8YRS RST OH

     Hours of Operation: 25:57

     band      QSOs     points
     -------------------------
     160        805       1613
     -------------------------
     TOTAL      805       1613   X   71 multipliers  =  114,523

     Wow, What a contest!  Hit my goal of 800 QSO's/100k pnt.  Gee, I don't
     usually hit my goals!  Remembering last year, I felt that I needed at
     least 600 Q's the first night to have a shot at my goal with a slow
     second night, but only had 457 q's friday night.  Saturday night was
     much better than expected, especailly early when I had rates of 45,50,
     30, and 45.  Not bad for me (I'm usually happy with those numbers even
     at the beginning of a test).  Anyway, If I could only get an antenna
     that I could work some of the DX, I think I could compete for the low
     power top ten in this contest.  Work on that for next year! No DX
     except for NL7Z (for my 160 WAS finally!), AH6M, and P40P.

     Learned something new that I had not thought about.  Yes, I have only
     been contesting since about 1989, so I still got lots to learn! I
always
     wondered why so many top notch contesters fought over a frequency at
     the low end of the band.  Well, after a rate of 15/hr on a run at about
      1865 khz, I went down to 1801 khz and my rate took off to about 45/hr.
     Did this a couple of times, and the rate was always better at the front
     of the band.  I guess you want to place yourself so the casual ops,
     who usually S@P and start at the beginning of the band, hear you first.
     Make sense, I will have to check it out in other contests.  I know, you
     guys could have told me this!

     As uaual, this was a very good contest.  In my opinion the operators
     are at their best in this contest, and it makes for a very enjoyable
     week-end.  See you all on ten meters next week!

     I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
     amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
     best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
     ARRL Awards Committee.

     Name: Donald J. Russell               Call: WA8YRS
           815 Brookwood Rd.
           Mt. Vernon                    , OH  43050

     drussell@knox.net