[3830] KH6/W1VT 15M QRP CW WW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KH6/W1VT 15M QRP CW WW
From: zlau@arrl.org (Zack Lau)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:26:00 -0500
CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1997

      Call: KH6/W1VT                 Country:  Hawaii
      Mode: CW                       Category: QRPp 3 watts output

       15      238      682     2.87     21      29

     Totals    238      682     2.87     21      29  =>  34,100

        17 hours of operation  Rig: Heathkit HW-9

Really low budget DXpedition--flew on frequent flyer miles
and stayed at my parent's place.  Operated from a nearby state
park--a little hill in Honolulu, though it was blocked to
Europe by an even bigger hill. I figure if I have to sacrifice
a direction it might as well be the tough over-the-pole path
that I usually can't use anyway...  I also scouted a spot
next to the ocean with a vertical, but jumbo jets generate
lots of noise--this doesn't work if you are running QRP and
can't expect reliable fills.  Besides, with 3 watts
and 5000 mile paths a couple extra dB from a dipole over
sloping ground really helps.  Actually, I used two dipoles,
one at W1 land and another toward Japan/Carribean.  Since I
had to set up 3 times, I moved the latter one around a bit.

I worked quite a few of the big East Coast multis--the band
was open for hours. In fact, first calls in the log Sat/Sun
morning were KC1XX and K1ZZ. I only had one really bad hour,
19Z the 2nd day with just 2Qs. Think its too early for many
people to point my way though the band is open...  Thanks to
HC8N for pointing my way after 15 had closed to NA--maybe
thats why Trey does so well...

Oh yeah, with all the horizontal rain I just had one visitor
all weekend--the guy who came to feed the cats living at
the park...  Really need to get a waterproof computer for logging.
At times I paid more attention to holding on to the log sheets
than avoiding dupes... (40 mph gusts?)

Zack KH6/W1VT