[3830] WP2Z Multi OP 10M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WP2Z Multi OP 10M
From: k4uj@mindspring.com (Paul Pescitelli)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 19:18:32 -0800
                     ARRL 10 METER CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: WP2Z                     Country:  US Virgin Is.
                                     Category: Multi Op

      MODE      QSO    QSO PTS  STATES  COUNTRIES

      CW       949     3796       54       43
      SSB     1201     2402       55       47

      Totals  2150     6198      109       90  =   1,233,402

Operator List: K4UJ / K4WA

Equipment Description:
FT1000D, Force 12 C4, Ameritron AL-811 (500W).

The WP2Z Contest station is a wonderful location. It's perched high upon a
hill with a clear path to US and Europe. Saturday morning suprised us with
long path QSOs to VK8AV and KH8/N5OLS. Midday Sunday we experienced
a short but sweet opening to Europe, so we grabbed a few needed mults on SSB
in the middle of our US SSB run. We did our best to get a BALANCED
mix of CW and SSB Q's knowing that the CW points are higher, but the
SSB Q's would win the contest. We could not get the run of late evening US
QSO's that the LU's could work; we simply could not hear them. K4WA and
myself have never had the chance to be competitive in a major contest, and
this location definately assisted our contesting skills.  Lots of
lessons were learned (albeit the hard way).

Many thanks go to the support crew behind the scenes. The ladies fixed the
meals and went shopping both days to let us contest.

73 - Paul K4UJ & Steve K4WA