[3830] N2IC Stew Perry - single-op

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N2IC Stew Perry - single-op
From: n2ic@bighorn.dr.lucent.com (n2ic@bighorn.dr.lucent.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 13:06:10 -0700
N2IC (/0) - Single-op - High Power

2832 points

363 QSO's
(including 51 EU, 43 JA and a few other interesting tidbits)

Approximately 12.5 hours operating time

What a fun contest !  Good EU condx (but not quite as good as the previous
2 nights).  Excellent activity from EU and JA, but USA activity not as high
as I expected.

Started the contest at 2315Z (local sunset is 2340Z).  Signals from the USA
east coast seemed down at 2315Z, but all hell broke loose at 2330Z with a bunch
of EU QSOs.  Even though the transmit antenna is only a half-sloper, I think
I am transmitting better than I am hearing on the 600' EU beverage.  Probably
missed 10-15 EU QSOs that I could not pull through.  Sorry !  It might be time
to consider phased beverages towards EU.

Except for the ever-present OH/SM, EU signals seemed to drop as EU sunrise
approached - a little disappointing.

ZS4TX worked at 0217Z for the only African QSO (sorry Greg !).  Last EU QSO  was
at 0756Z, although SM/OH was probably workable even later.

Worked JA5BJC at 0813Z.  No other JA heard at that time, so I slept for the
next 3 hours.  Don't think I missed much.  Strong JA opening from 1140Z-1230Z,
but I was too groggy to take full advantage of it.  Band seemed almost dead
to JA from 1230Z until 1349Z, when our sunrise enhancement started. Worked 20
more JA during our sunrise period, but signals not as good as 12Z opening.
Disappointed to not hear VS97, YB or anything else that "deep" into Asia.  I
really need to get serious about working YB1AQS sometime before I blow
the opportunity !  Last QSO was at 1441Z, 20 minutes after sunrise.

Nothing heard from VK/ZL except for VK6VZ, who had a good signal for several
hours.  Too much QRN down under ?

73,
Steve, N2IC (/0)