[3830] KQ2M 98CQ160 SOHP Unassisted (Long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KQ2M 98CQ160 SOHP Unassisted (Long)
From: kq2m@eci.com (Robert L. Shohet)
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 17:34:44 -0800
Never understood why the ARRL test has so much more U.S. activity than
the CQ when the CQ has so much MORE DX!  The drop off in rate vs. the
ARRL 160 was quite noticeable as was the increase in DX stations and
countries worked in the CQ160 - this is always a mystery!

Conditions seemed to be pretty good especially Saturday night but the
static crashes were just MIND BOGGLING!  Several weeks ago I said that
we (in CT) have a snow storm every 160 contest.  I predicted one would
hit on the CQ160 weekend and it sure did!  It made no difference what
antenna or beverage I listened on Friday night, the QRN was a minimum of
S9 at all times with the crashes at S9+40 DB.  Finally at 0445Z on
Saturday I packed it in even though EU sunrise was only an hour away.
It was simply impossible to hear anyone who was less than S9+20 unless
they happened to call at the very moment when the static crash
subsided.  It was grueling and frustrating - a typical 160 contest.

Saturday started with Eu in real early - about 1930Z! and then they just
continued to get louder as did C42A and 5B4ADA.  Started to hear UA2's
about 2030Z - a good sign, but then the static crashes came back even
MORE ferocious than the night before.  Some of them would last for 10
seconds of S9+40 noise!  It was awful knowing that stations were calling
me that I could not hear and very frustrating for me to get 1 or 2
letters at a time and take up to 4-5 minutes to work someone.  Looking
at the writeups afterward I was amazed at all the countries in EU and
the Middle East that I simply never heard and I realized that they
probably called me some point and wondered why it appeared they were
being ignored.  Sorry!

Finally about 0500Z the static dropped to S9+20 and I was able to run
Europe albeit with difficulty.  I started to call CQ during the crashes
trying to time it so that I would end the CQ about the time the crash
would subside.  I had mixed success with this strategy but at least it
was better than just agonizing about it.  Was able to work and run about
125 EU the second night, by far the best ever from here.  It would seem
that even though the apex of the Inv. L's was quite low (about 60 feet)
phasing them 270' apart gave me a significant improvement over last year
when I used only one.  I wondered just how many countries and dx
stations I could have worked with a more reasonable noise level?

Was really surprised and excited when NL7Z answered my CQ at about 0900Z.
Alaska is tough from here although I was also able to work one in the
ARRL160 (thanks to the phased Inv L's).  Can't figure out where ND, MS
and DC were though!  Wonderful activity from Candian Maritime provinces,
and VE4, 5 and 6.  Worked EIGHT VE6's WOW!

Heard a loud CE but couldn't crack the midwest pileup working it with
impunity.  Also heard a LOUD VK6VZ running JA's at 1145Z (he stopped
listening for US in favor of running JA's) and a loud JA running US.
Could NOT understand why the JA was listening for and working W3
stations ONLY for more than 30 minutes?!  I listened with amazement as
the JA was peaking S7 on the Phased NW/SE position about 1130Z and then
started to peak in the NE/SW position about 1200Z. I could hear the
gradual shift in the path from NW to SW between 1130Z to 1200Z!

Never heard the ZL's, VK's, ZK, EM1, etc. that were reported by the
others.  Wonder if I just did not have the propagation or the
directivity of the phased INV L's caused me not to hear them?

It turned out to be a much more interesting contest than I expected and
it was nice to "play at it" (for 20 hours) instead of pounding away hour
after hour with a serious effort.  Even more enjoyable was the feeling
of being loud as witnessed by the fact that the EU stations did NOT CQ
on my frequency but rather stayed a few hundred HZ to either side of
me.  This has NEVER happened before in a 160 contest.  Since I never
used properly phased antennas before on 160, I have to believe that the
modified WX0B stackmatch box made the difference.  Thanks Jay!

Congrats to W4ZV on a mind-boggling score from NC!  I don't know how
much better EU is from CT vs NC but there clearly is no comparison
between working stateside from NC vs CT!

Thanks to all who worked me and those (especially DX stations) who
repeatedly tried (in vain).  Maybe one day we will have a 160 contest
with good propagation and NORMAL winter noise levels (NO Snowstorm)?
I am still waiting for this rare combination to occur!

73

Bob KQ2M

                       CQ 160 METER CONTEST -- 1998

       Call: KQ2M                     Country:  United States
       Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator HP

                QSO   QSO PTS  STATES COUNTRIES

      Totals    846    3203      56      55    =   355,533

 All reports sent were 599CT, unless otherwise noted.

 Equipment Description:
 TS940 & AL1500

 Txmit Ant: Phased Inv L's
 Rcv.  Ant: Phased 270' NE Beverages