[3830] W6PH - ARRL CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W6PH - ARRL CW
From: W1PH/0006743923@MCIMAIL.COM (W6PH)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:00:50 -0500 (EST)

          Call: W6PH   State: CA  Mode: CW   Category: SOAB Unassisted

                   BAND     QSO    QSO PTS  COUNTRIES
                    80       62      186      34
                    40      184      552      51
                    20      339     1017      70
                    15      308      921      66
                    10       57      171      24
                  -----------------------------------
                  Totals    950     2847     245

                          SCORE:  697,515
                     Operating time:  27.6 hours

        Equipment Description:  TS930S, SB200 (600 watts), CT 9.20
        Antennas:  80-40m  Cushcraft AV-5 on ground
                   20-10m  Cushcraft D-3 dipole on 35' TV pushup mast

    We were on vacation in Cal and I decided to try the ARRL DX Contest
from there.  I didn't expect much because of the simple antennas.  This
was the first time I have operated a DX contest from there since I left
in 1959.

Highlights:  The low bands were very quiet Friday night and I worked DL5AXX,
 EA7GTF, F6FGZ, TM9C, G0IVZ, G3SJX, G4BUO, and OT8T on 80 meters.  I had
 never heard a Euro on 80 before in California!  On every band, I was able
 to work just about every multiplier I heard.  Running JAs is interesting.
 The JAs won't answer back unless you have most of their call correct.  It
 is so orderly compared with some of the 300 watt stations we hear on the
 East Coast!  Even worked JA3ZOH and JH7XGN on 10 meters Saturday afternoon.
 I liked starting the contest at 1600 local time with lots of Asian stations
 on 15 meters.  The start in W1 is difficult for a medium equipped station.
 I was very satisfied with the results given the no-gain antennas that I
 was using.

Lowlights:  The European opening is only about 4 hours long.  I never got
 any answers to CQs during the European openings.  I missed PJ9C (W1WEF)
 on both 20 and 15 meters.  I looked between 25 and 40 kHz both days and
 never heard him.  I got all the other Caribbean stations on 5 bands.
 This was a disappointment as Jack is a good friend.  There were very
 few African stations compared with past years.  I stayed away from
 pileups as I couldn't break them.  I even had to wait in line to work
 ordinary stuff.  Except for the JAs, everything was S&P.

Although I wasn't able to run Europeans like I could do in W1, I had a
 lot of fun.  And that is the bottom line.

                              73,  Kurt, W6PH (formerly W1PH)

                   Continental Statistics

            80     40     20     15     10     All      Pct
      NA    23     26     30     33     21     133     14.0
      SA     6     10     19     29     33      97     10.2
      EU     8     36    163     66      0     273     28.7
      AS    20     99    121    166      2     408     42.9
      AF     0      2      1      4      0       7      0.7
      OC     5     11      5     11      1      33      3.5