[3830] W0AH ARRL DXCW SOA HP (QRP exc. 80M!)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W0AH ARRL DXCW SOA HP (QRP exc. 80M!)
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:51:55 EST
W0AH    20 HRS    105,624    216    163                 SOA HP

Band   Contacts    Countries   Power    Antenna
160M         6                5          005         90' vert.
80M          66              43        1200        Hytower vert.
40M          40              35         005*         40-2CD at 40'
20M          29              25         005          Hytower vert.
15M          47              33         005          40-2CD at 40'
10M          28              22         005          3 el CC at 47'
*one contact and country on 40M, JY9QY, was QRO
Comments:  Pretty schizoid to run HP on one band 80M Friday night, and QRP on
all the bands Saturday, Saturday night, and Sunday, but with a bad cold  I was
only up for some H&P.  Having neglected 80M this season, I thought I'd see how
many countries I could work on 80.  The answer was 43 in 6 1/2 hrs Friday
night.  With S9 QRN on 160 and 80 Saturday night, I opted for 40M QRP and was
amazed to work 12 Europeans between 0500 and my sundown half an hour later,
some on the first call!  Was I in some kind of space/time/power warp?   I kept
looking over at the amp (it was powered down) and the Bird and Oak Hills QRP
wattmeter (I WAS running 5 watts or less) and out the window (yes it WAS still
daylight and there was snow on the ground so I was still at home in Colorado).
40M remained good, but I went to bed at 1015 local wondering how a CW contest
could worsen my sore throat.
I played around with 10, 15, and 20 Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
Sure had fun and found out that the CC 40-CD works OK on 15M (not bad on 18
and 24.5 either).  One of these months the KT-34XA will reappaer from under
the snow, and I'll get it up and be ready for a real AB effort!
Doug  W0AH        9 miles north of Pikes Peak at 9000' elevation