[3830] KK7GW ARRL DX Phone (fairly long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KK7GW ARRL DX Phone (fairly long)
From: kk7gw@hotmail.com (David Jones)
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:10:17 PST
                              ARRL DX SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 07-Mar-98, 08-Mar-98

    Callsign Used : KK7GW
         Operator : KK7GW

         Category : Single Operator/Low Power

 Default Exchange : 59 Washington

             Name : David Jones
          Address : 11427 110th AVE NE
   City/State/Zip : Kirkland, Washington 98033
          Country : United States

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

   40SSB       1           1          3         1
   20SSB      11          11         33         8
   15SSB      53          52        153        30
   10SSB       4           4         12         3

 Totals       69          68        201        42

    Final Score = 8442 points.

Hours of operation: 8.4
Power output: 100 watts

Equipment: Kenwood TS-530, 40m dipole at about 22 feet.

Comments: Well, this sure was an interesting contest in the limited
amount of time I could put in.  I'll post my long diatribe relating to
Danny, K7SS' observations to CQ-contest, because I have a few more
"typical" contest exchanges that I observed.  As I heard Dennis say from
KP3P, and I was saying the same thing to myself, now I know why I don't
do many SSB contests.  Just madness.  Oh well, that comes in the
CQ-contest post.

Got back from my paper route (gotta have something to pay for radio
gear) at 0030z Friday, and only had 20 minutes due to a clarinet lesson.
Once I got back from that it was to 20 and pick up the few mults I
could.  I actually tried split 40 with 1 (yes ONE) VFO, spinning the
dial 100 kHz or 150 each way.  Got exactly 1 Q doing that in 2 hours
(thanks KL7Y) so I went to bed.

Most of Saturday was a wash.  I went to the local hamfest for a few
hours, and then picked up a few JA's before having to go to my 6th grade
brother's basketball came and end-of-year party.

Picked up SA mults Sat. evening, and then went to bed, as 40 is a wash
for me.  Very nice EU opening Sunday morning on 15, along with a
hard-fought, 4 minute Q with RN3QO on 20 for the UA mult.  I went to
church at 1640z with 47, just hoping to break 50.

>From 1840z, when I got back, to 2104z, I just picked up Carib. and SA
stations on 10 and 15, until finding a loud 9X0A for an all-time new
one!  That's number 79 or 80 worked, gotta get all my QSL's going now.

I missed the last few hours due to a baseball practice.  The good thing
is that the contesting season doesn't really overlap with baseball
season.  I'll have to take about 3 hours off during each WPX for games,
but since I have to take 12 off anyway, it's not that bad.

Apologies for the long post, flames and whatever else anyone cares to
give accepted :)

73

David Jones, KK7GW
kk7gw@hotmail.com